Bar Menu Icon

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jbaerbock
Level 4
Level 4

Bar Menu Icon

Post by jbaerbock »

So I am the weird person who prefers the bar style menu versus Mint Menu. This is the one what has Applications, Places, System in a row on my bar at the top of my screen. The icon theme I have enabled has a strange icon on the far left of it. I'd prefer to flat out remove the icon so I just have the words sitting there. Any suggestions?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
cwsnyder

Re: Bar Menu Icon

Post by cwsnyder »

That 'wierd icon' off to the left of you menu entries? That is the icon for the Desktop Environment which you are basing your panels/menus upon (GNOME, MATE, Cinnamon, etc.) In most Mint distributions, this is also the Application menu, so if you go about attempting to remove it, you may lose your application menu. Try right-clicking on a blank space on your panel and see if you can re-arrange the items, or add/remove items until you are satisfied or have completely wrecked your installation, then you can re-install and try again. :D
Hawkeye_52

Post by Hawkeye_52 »

jbaerbock wrote:So I am the weird person who prefers the bar style menu versus Mint Menu. This is the one what has Applications, Places, System in a row on my bar at the top of my screen. The icon theme I have enabled has a strange icon on the far left of it. I'd prefer to flat out remove the icon so I just have the words sitting there. Any suggestions?
I looked through a lot of the hidden files in home directory for some way to manage the icon in your menu, but couldn't come up with one. In Gnome 2, there was a GUI which aided in doing this, but not all things Gnome has translated into MATE.

Since you're not getting the answer(s) you want in this forum, maybe you want to post here:

http://forums.mate-desktop.org/

If you find the answer from the MATE Forum, or some place else, please post back your findings here -- it would be nice to know. Sorry I couldn't help...

Hawkeye52
DataMan

Post by DataMan »

I also don't have a direct answer on how to dock the menu categories to a panel.

One thing you might want to consider is to put launchers for your favorite apps on the top panel (after you have added it :) ). For me, I've got icon launchers for 29 of my favorite (and often accessed) apps on my top panel (with room to spare at 1920 x 1080). For the few times that I need an app outside of these selected apps, I'm content with using the Mint Menu.

-DataMan

Return to “MATE”