partition tool conflicting reading the drives.

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
tbrownarcher2

partition tool conflicting reading the drives.

Post by tbrownarcher2 »

I have 2 drives in my computer a
maxtor 100 gb on primary master auto running windown xp
Western Digital 320 gb on secondary master auto running linux mint 14 cinnamon
this is all on a dell dimension 3000

I'm trying to install linux mint 14 on the system again but instead of choosing the install beside windows I'm trying to use the last option something else

Code: Select all

this is my partition tool window which is not reading the drives right or I'm not understanding the way it's reading.  the bottom window for the install of grub reads 320 gb which is true .  but the other partion sizes are in megabites and do not make sense to me ... way too small 
                                                    size              used
/dev/sda
/dev/sda1           ntfs                  100241mb       37179 mb

/dev/sdb
free space                                   320072 mb

device for bootloader installation

.dev/sdb                Ata WDC   WD320AAJB-0(320.1GB)  
How do i correct this ? I'm sure there is nothing wrong with the drives . I HOPE!

Thanks,
Nate
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
srs5694
Level 6
Level 6

Re: partition tool conflicting reading the drives.

Post by srs5694 »

See my Web page on the subject of causes of missing partitions. In brief, this is commonly caused either of two things:
  • Leftover RAID data, if the disk was previously used in certain types of RAID configuration or if you've enabled RAID in your motherboard but not installed appropriate software in Linux.
  • Partition table errors such as overlapping partitions, partitions that are too large for the disk, or leftover GPT data on an MBR disk. Many of the most common specific causes in this category can be corrected by my FixParts program.
I'm less familiar with the problems caused by RAID than with those caused by damaged partition tables.
tbrownarcher2

Re: partition tool conflicting reading the drives.

Post by tbrownarcher2 »

thanks, I'm getting on it now .... I'm not sure what raid is even so it's probably not that . the Fix Parts web page did not work

thanks,
Nate

Return to “Installation & Boot”