internet

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
radiator

internet

Post by radiator »

hi
I am new to Mint. After I finish installing mint I opened the browser firefox. I was able to get the google homepage. I can get the 'news', 'youtube' and other sites of google. But I can't get the sites I usually visit in my windows XP. I cannot access facebook, BBCnews or any other sites. But I can get some other sites(sites like outlook mail). I still manages to get these sites in windows XP. I use linux mint 32 bit cinnamon version. how can fix this ?

please help
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
killer de bug

Re: internet

Post by killer de bug »

What's the problem when you try to access Facebook for example ? Can you post a screenshot ?
radiator

Post by radiator »

hi
when I google the pages of facebook and bbcnews, it brings me links to these sites as usual. But when I click the link, it takes forever to load these pages. You wait and wait until it gives a response like this " The connection has timed out". I am able to get the same pages without any problems on XP. Is this the problem of the browser. I am very much an amateur in mint. So I dont know how to take the screen shot. Please excuse. Is this an issue with virus or other malicious softwares.

please help
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

So for example, if you click on https://www.facebook.com/ or http://www.bbc.com/news/, you don't go to these web pages but get a timeout? (Please actually click them :)) And http://www.google.com/ and http://www.outlook.com/ do work?

The likelihood of this being a virus on your computer is insignificant. Please try these again also with Firefox in safe mode, so without extensions or plugins. That way you can confirm if this is perhaps being caused by how you have configured some of those. Press and hold down the left Alt key, then also press the F2 key and release both. In the box that appears, type:

Code: Select all

firefox -safe-mode
radiator

Post by radiator »

hi vincent
I tried the safemode like you instructed. I am sorry but it didn't work. The results were the same. I also tried to connect with huffington post too. THese are the sites I usually visit . But i couldnot get any response
radiator

Post by radiator »

can any one help?
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Please open a terminal and run the following command, copy the output here.

ping -c 4 facebook.com
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

What's your internet connection? Wired ethernet? Wifi?
radiator

Post by radiator »

PING facebook.com (173.252.100.16) 56(84) bytes of data.

--- facebook.com ping statistics ---
4 packets transmitted, 0 received, 100% packet loss, time 3022ms

this is the response I got
radiator

Post by radiator »

I have wired connection
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Okay, the ping command tells us two things. One, that your DNS is working fine. It shows that the domain "facebook.com" is correctly looked up and the IP-address "173.252.100.16" is found for it. But that IP-address is not reachable from your computer.

Lets try to do a traceroute. Install it first:

sudo apt-get install traceroute
Then run it as:

traceroute bbc.com
I picked bbc.com as example, because facebook.com does something funny which results in an endless traceroute. Before you post the output here, blank the line marked "2" of the results as this has information which holds your IP address and name of your ISP.
radiator

Post by radiator »

traceroute to bbc.com ( ), 30 hops max, 60 byte packets
1 * * *
2 * * *
3 * * *
4 * * *
5 * * *
6 * * *
7 * * *
8 * * *
9 * * *
10 * * *
11 * * *
12 * * *
13 * * *
14 * * *
15 * * *
16 * * *
17 * * *
18 * * *
19 * * *
20 * * *
21 * * *
22 * * *
23 * * *
24 * * *
25 * * *
26 * * *
27 * * *
28 * * *
29 * * *
30 * * *

This is the response I got. I have blanked the info in the brackets as you insstructed. Hope this helps
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Hmm, that doesn't tell me much. Looks like you don't even reach your Internet gateway. Do you have another operating system or computer you can try on the same wired connection? If that works, something is configured on your Linux Mint installation.

I'd try booting from the Linux Mint installation DVD / USB, and confirming whether you have the same issue then. You didn't say which version of Linux Mint you are using, but if you have 14 you may want to try 14.1 instead: http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2234.
Jim1938

Post by Jim1938 »

I see you rebooted to safe mode - but -
You might want to COLD boot everything.
Shut down your pc.
Shut down your modem.
Disconnect all cables from modem.
Disconnect unessentials such as printers, webcams, from pc.
Let everything rest in the OFF position for 2 minutes minimum.
Then hook JUST the pc, modem, and Internet back up and restart.

Then try V's suggestions again in the same order starting from the top.

Have anything changed?
karl-boris

Post by karl-boris »

I happen to have the same problem since I installed Mint 14 with cinnamon. Any site using a secure connexion gives me a timeout error. I've been using it, mostly through wi-fi, with a Intel 5100 AGN wifi chip and the iwlwifi driver; but it doesn't work neither with a wired connection (Broadcom Netlink BCM5906M with tg3 driver). I have change to Mint 13 xfce, with an updated kernel to 3.6.9 and it still didn't solved my problem...

I have also tried different web browsers. With firefox and opera, i would simply get a timeout error and with Chrome and Chromium, I had an "Error 324 (net:: ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE): The server closed the connection without sending any data." Same result in safe mode. I did some research with that error 324, and there was an issue with chromium earlier this year, where certain websites, such as twitter, were timing out, but it was supposed to have been during summer...

When I connect through my smartphone in tethering mode, I have no problem accessing https websites... so the problem seems to be with my modem (which is also my router). Now I was told that it is possible that my router doesn't read my MAC address properly, and therefore, isn't able to resend me the information got through a secure connection, but when I look into the device details in my routers settings, its the same MAC address I get as when I run inxi in terminal.

Also, when I try with my parents computer, with windows 7, there is no problem. Right now, I'm downloading Ubuntu 12.04 LTS to try it in live boot and see if I still get the same problem...
radiator

Post by radiator »

I have windowsXP installed to the same computer. In there I can get all the websites not accessible in Mint. Sorry, I can't get another computer. I am using linux Mint 14 "Nadia" cinnamon 1.6 32-bit version.
radiator

Post by radiator »

I am using linux mint14 "nadia ". So do I have to install this Nadia “14.1″ ISO respins separatly or I can use the update manager to do it? Also if I remove mint and reinstall does that solve the problem?
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Thanks for confirming it all works fine in XP. I'd try the Linux Mint installation DVD / USB first; if the websites all work fine from there, it sounds like a reinstall would be a solution. I'd reinstall with 14.1 to make sure (if you download 14 from the Linux Mint website now, you get the 14.1 ISO).
radiator

Post by radiator »

I have downloaded mint14 (.iso file) 3 days ago. Does that mean I have installed mint 14.1. So do I have to download mint once again?
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

That should be the 14.1 release (I downloaded and installed it then also). Did you do any network related configuration, like VPN, DNS, or firewall?

Return to “Beginner Questions”