Accidentally Deleted Public/Shared Folder-Works on Accounts?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jimwg

Accidentally Deleted Public/Shared Folder-Works on Accounts?

Post by jimwg »

Greetings!

On one of my flash drives I'm running Maya XFCE. I have three accounts on it. Some time ago I accidentally deleted the public folder of one but wasn't concerned until now, when I'm looking for a solution of having a (shared?) folder in each account that can be used to exchange files between them all. If there's a way to recreate this public folder I'd truly appreciate it! Also I'm a non-techie so I'm not sure, but is a public folder exactly the same as a shared folder? Googling this gives different interpretations for some reason.

Thanks!

Jim in NYC
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
twolf

Re: Accidentally Deleted Public/Shared Folder-Works on Accou

Post by twolf »

Right-clicking on a folder and choosing the tab Permissions you can see the owner of that folder and the permissions applied for the owner, for the group whose the owner is member and for the rest of the world.
Assumed that, we can say a shared folder is a folder owned by a user (typically contained in his home folder) whose the owner choose to share the content by applying tolerant permissions (reading or even writing) to other users, better members of a group rather than all the world, for security reasons.
Instead we can say a folder is public if many users (some groups or all the world) have read and write access to that, no matter where this folder is or who is the owner, but it is assumed we are talking about one common folder. In this scenario the public folder owner is typically the administrator and the so called "sticky bit" permission is applied to the folder, that is everyone can create files but can delete or move only owned ones, to prevent chaos.

In a new Mint installation I see the Public foder has the same permissions of the others in your home... I don't exactly know its purpose...

To answer you question, I have to understand your needs: do you want simply re-create the folder as it was or do you need to have a unique folder shared for the three users ?

Bye
twolf

Re: Accidentally Deleted Public/Shared Folder-Works on Accou

Post by twolf »

Please also open a terminal and post the result of the following commands:

Code: Select all

df -h

Code: Select all

du -h /home
to help understanding the best strategy.

Hi

Return to “Xfce”