[SOLVED] Dropbox for Caja needs gnome, unity, cinnamon...

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ImaginaryFriend

[SOLVED] Dropbox for Caja needs gnome, unity, cinnamon...

Post by ImaginaryFriend »

According to Synaptic in Mint 14 Mate edition (32 bit), Dropbox integration with Caja has well over a hundred dependencies, including Gnome, Cinnamon, Unity, and Rythmbox. For the most part, I'm loving Mate, but I depend on Dropbox to sync my projects across multiple machines, so this is kind of a problem.

To reproduce this, go to Synaptic and mark Dropbox Caja integration for installation.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
viking777

Re: Dropbox for Caja needs gnome, unity, cinnamon, and Rythm

Post by viking777 »

Musical Dropbox, that is such a laugh. I don't mean to belittle your problem but you gotta admit that is a good one.

As for a solution - use SpiderOak it is aeons better than Dropbox or UbuntuOne.

Edit. MInd you, look at it this way, if it installs Cinnamon and Unity at least you will have a couple of decent desktops to choose from instead of having to use Mate :wink: .
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

If you install nautilus-dropbox you don't get all those dependencies, and it still works with Caja.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
ImaginaryFriend

Post by ImaginaryFriend »

Tdockery, thanks; it works perfectly! I love you, man. (Platonically, of course. :-D )

Perhaps the Caja integration package should be removed from the repos entirely, and the Nautilus integration package should be renamed Nautlius/Caja Dropbox Integration. Of course, as usual, the repos install Dropbox itself in an unsupported location, so when you try to start it, it wants to DL and reinstall Dropbox, but I'm used to that little hiccup.

And heh. Viking, Unity was one of several reasons I switched distros to Mint, and while I like Cinnamon, my ancient laptop with its wimpy Intel integrated graphics seems a bit snappier with Mate.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Re: [SOLVED] Dropbox for Caja needs gnome, unity, cinnamon..

Post by tdockery97 »

Glad it worked for you. :D
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
viking777

Post by viking777 »

And heh. Viking, Unity was one of several reasons I switched distros to Mint, and while I like Cinnamon, my ancient laptop with its wimpy Intel integrated graphics seems a bit snappier with Mate.
OK I understand, glad you got it sorted.

I like you username btw - shows imagination and a sense of fun :)
jelabarre59
Level 2
Level 2

Post by jelabarre59 »

MAJOR problem with using nautilus-dropbox along with caja-dropbox; the tray icon for Dropbox will open the dropbox directory in *Nautilus*, not Caja. And there seems to be no way to force it to use Caja. I think if the nautilus-dropbox package still needs to be installed, there should be a way to force dropbox to use a *different* file manager.

Return to “Software & Applications”