New Linux User.

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MJVial

New Linux User.

Post by MJVial »

Hello everyone! I'm pretty new to Linux (my second month using it) I just switched over from using Fedora 17. I liked what Red Hat was doing but after trying Mint I dont think I will be going back (its just too nice). Anyway I'm used to using the commands in Fedora in the terminal, how similar are the two distros as far as the command line (basic stuff like managing software) can anyone point me in the right direction where to start learning my new OS?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Re: New Linux User.

Post by caf4926 »

Fedora is .rpm based
Mint is .deb

They are quite different

Fedora uses: YUM
Mint uses: APT

I find Mint looks after updates well
And I install packages with synaptic. Never let me down yet.
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon
jesica

Post by jesica »

Good day and welcome to the Linux Mint Forums

:mrgreen:
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Welcome aboard MJVial :D Linux Mint is based on Ubuntu and Debian, using the APT package manager. The Debian Administrator's Handbook is available for online reading, downloading, or purchase as book: http://debian-handbook.info/. It covers most of what you want to know in chapters 5 and 6.

You could also take a look at the Pacman Rosetta: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pacman_Rosetta. Though it is for Arch Linux' package manager (pacman), it compares the package management tools for all major Linux distros including Red Hat/Fedora that you used previously and Ubuntu/Debian on which Linux Mint is based. Might be handy :wink:

Another command line tools are mostly the same tools.
The-Wizard

Post by The-Wizard »

Welcome to the Mint family forums

wizard
overthetop

Post by overthetop »

Welcome aboard! :P
MJVial

Post by MJVial »

hey thanks everyone the info you supplied is much appreciated and im glad to be part of the Mint community.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”