Greetings from the UK.

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
pinball

Greetings from the UK.

Post by pinball »

Hello everyone.

Mint user from the UK, used Linux on and off since 1997. Don't work in IT at all, but drive trains for a living, so don't have time to sit around compiling stuff for a laugh, or spending ages editing configuration files, so very interested in a desktop Linux that "just works". Started on Debian, played around with Red Hat (before it was all corporate) and Slackware, but as time doesn't really permit for messing around, since then been using Ubuntu for ages until the whole Unity kerfuffle (familiar pattern here), and thought I'd give Mint a go. Very very impressed. Started with Mint 12, found it was pretty good, but Mint 13 really was the business. Just recently upgraded to 14 and the direction the operating system is going in, is amazing. I really appreciate the work everyone has put into it. Interestingly enough with Windows 8 emerging, a fair few people I know have seriously considered dumping Windows once 7 starts to become obsolete. I have recommended Mint and those who have tried it, have adopted it as their system of choice. I use it on my custom built desktop (14, 64bit with Cinnamon) and on a cheap Acer netbook (13, 32bit with Mate) I picked up (where it installed first time out of the box with no messing about).

Keep up the good work, it makes a refreshing change to see that people actually listen to what users really want!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Greetings from the UK.

Post by kc1di »

Hello pinball and welcome to Mint.
Hope you enjoy it and the forum is a great place to ask for help if needed.
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

Welcome and Yep was amazed at mints accomplishments. As came back to linux last month. And Ubuntu Unity Scared the BeeGeebies out of me and the direction it's headed. And for me Mint 14 Cinnamon (Nadia) an outstanding start. And zilch problems Live or Install and everything just worked out of the box.

Tho a bit annoyed my wifi is running about 20%-30% less quality signal and less robust on weaker signals compared to when I'm booted up on the windows side. And makes for a sporadic problems from time to time and looking into the issue. Few minor bugs in apps and cinnamon that I'm sure will be addressed in a timely fashion.

But Light-Years Ahead from my last experiences with Ubuntu in 2006-2008 when I left for need of windows Image Editing applications.

And again Welcome and sit back prop up yer Feet and Stay Awhile :P
The-Wizard

Post by The-Wizard »

Welcome to the Mint family forums

wizard
jesica

Post by jesica »

Good day and welcome to the Linux Mint Forums

:mrgreen:
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Welcome aboard pinball :D I've switched to Linux Mint 14 Cinnamon 64 bit just last week, and indeed it is awesome :wink:
overthetop

Post by overthetop »

Welcome aboard pinball! :P

Return to “Introduce Yourself”