[SOLVED] Mint 14 LiveCD won't boot

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MickeyRat

[SOLVED] Mint 14 LiveCD won't boot

Post by MickeyRat »

My system is hosed and I can't get the Mint 14 LiveCD to boot either in normal or compatibility mode. FWIW I can't get a knoppix LiveCD to boot either. I can boot a system rescue CD. When I found this problem, I was able to boot into Windows 7 but, at this point I've hosed grub. Fixing that won't solve the problem. I still won't be able to boot the LiveCD. Any pointers?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MickeyRat

Re: Mint 14 LiveCD won't boot

Post by MickeyRat »

I'll add a little more info. I had run a tar.gz backup of the system disk before I started this and with that and a boot repair disk I was able to get my system back up. However, I'm still concerned that I can't boot off a LiveCD.
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

Is the CD/DVD drive set as 1st boot device in Bios?
Where you able at any time boot with Live CD?
Maybe a bad burn?
Sorry just suggestions is all can offer at this point.
MickeyRat

Post by MickeyRat »

Hey I'll take any suggestions I can get. So, thank you for trying.

Yes I was able to boot off the LiveCD at one time. That's how I got the install done in the first place. In between I replaced the speakers in the laptop and redid the disk partitions. After the restore, I am running Mint 14 now but, it's from when I was able to boot off the CD. It is the first boot device. The boot does start. I just hangs part way in. Some clue about what it's doing then would be a big help.
MickeyRat

Re: [SOLVED] Mint 14 LiveCD won't boot

Post by MickeyRat »

Well I found the problem and it's almost embarrassing. As I mentioned I had messed with the hardware to replace the built in speakers in the laptop. I even got a clue that I might have in that process done something to the BIOS because I had to reset the time. However it took a close look at the compatibility mode boot and noticing how many things were saying the BIOS was in the way to think that maybe the BIOS was the problem. I set the BIOS to factory defaults and it booted fine off the CD.

Return to “Installation & Boot”