Backup system image. [SOLVED]

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
glore2002

Backup system image. [SOLVED]

Post by glore2002 »

Hello!
Is it possible to create an image backup of my installed linuxmint. I would like to be able to have a restore image to reinstall Mint as I do with windoes system image backup (for instance).

In conclusion, I would like to start my system with a cd or pendrive and to be able to restore my system completely.

Thank you!

Glore2002.-
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
memilanuk

Re: Backup system image.

Post by memilanuk »

Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

Have they added "Differential/incremental backup is not implemented yet"
But yep that is the one I see suggested the most and will have to give it a whirl myself.
memilanuk

Post by memilanuk »

There was no mention of differential/incremental back up in the original request - just system imaging.

I'm not aware of anything that combines the two. Might be out there, just haven't heard of it.
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

Yep that was there statement on the link. Looks like they want to eventually add that feature. Which would be great if updating or changing system and have just one master iso stored somewhere upadated without the need to bakcup whole all over again for a few changes in system.
memilanuk

Post by memilanuk »

Ah. I thought you meant in the OP's request.

If they get there, they get there - great. It would be a very interesting feature. But for the here-n-now... we're 'stuck' with a bare-metal system restore image (in my case stored over the network via SAMBA) and then full/incremental backups to get user data restored.
memilanuk

Post by memilanuk »

Another option... may be to use SystemRescueCD w/FSArchiver to create a customized system recovery CD. It doesn't look like a particularly painless process, though... I think I'd play with it in VirtualBox - a *lot* - before I tried it on a 'production' system.

FSArchiver (included in SystemRescueCD or available separately) has the ability to do live backups of LVM snapshots, which is intriguing...
SurfaceUnits

Post by SurfaceUnits »

Remastersys is a tool that can be used to do 2 things with an existing Debian, Ubuntu or derivative installation.

It can make a full system backup including personal data to a live cd or dvd that you can use anywhere and install.

and Unetbootin are my friends
Bali

Post by Bali »

Hi,

Since I just install Mint 13 and had problem with it, I wanted to make backup of my install.

For many years I used : Ghost, CloneZilla, Acronis... They are all good but I was never satisfied at 100 %.

Last week I discovered Redo Backup , and I love it !

Open Source
Just download the small Iso image, burn it on a cd and boot on it to make your install image disk
Work with Linux and Windows File System.
Do and restore your backup in 5 minutes
Realy Good and simple User GUI. Can be used with mouse.
Some others tolls on it , like for partition editing, antivirus...

Ok, no incremental option, password image protect... But for now i don't care : I like it for his simple fast, multi file system ability way to do images.

By the way, I make and restore images maybe 10 times the last 5 days : it did his job fast and efficiently.

Try it and let me know.

http://redobackup.org/
Dyfi

Post by Dyfi »

For interest, I have used Clonezilla, fsarchiver, and redobackup - clonezilla is my favourite and has never let me down. It also will do an image check to ensure the backup is restorable.

Fsarchiver has one very important feature - the image can be restored to a smaller partition. At my time of using Redobackup it was unable to create an image of just a partition, only image the complete hard drive - maybe this has changed now - does anyone know?
Bali

Post by Bali »

Dyfi wrote:For interest, I have used Clonezilla, fsarchiver, and redobackup - clonezilla is my favourite and has never let me down. It also will do an image check to ensure the backup is restorable.

Fsarchiver has one very important feature - the image can be restored to a smaller partition. At my time of using Redobackup it was unable to create an image of just a partition, only image the complete hard drive - maybe this has changed now - does anyone know?
Hi Dyfi,

Yes you can select wich partition you want to back up; I have two: / & /home. I can either select one or both for back up and restore.
glore2002

Post by glore2002 »

Bali wrote:Hi,

Since I just install Mint 13 and had problem with it, I wanted to make backup of my install.

For many years I used : Ghost, CloneZilla, Acronis... They are all good but I was never satisfied at 100 %.

Last week I discovered Redo Backup , and I love it !

Open Source
Just download the small Iso image, burn it on a cd and boot on it to make your install image disk
Work with Linux and Windows File System.
Do and restore your backup in 5 minutes
Realy Good and simple User GUI. Can be used with mouse.
Some others tolls on it , like for partition editing, antivirus...

Ok, no incremental option, password image protect... But for now i don't care : I like it for his simple fast, multi file system ability way to do images.

By the way, I make and restore images maybe 10 times the last 5 days : it did his job fast and efficiently.

Try it and let me know.

http://redobackup.org/
I will give it a try. It sounds good. Thanks for your help!
jamvaru

Post by jamvaru »

personally,

i like to get a stable install, with everything necessary but not everything desired

do a clonezilla of it and forget it

if you need to backup anything else, just drag and drop to a different drive/partition

perhaps you need to do more, then i'm sure something more complicated will work for you

:mrgreen:

actually i never bother backing up linux anything, it never fails (well, rarely, and never so i lose anything important, cause i use other drives)
i only use clonezilla for windows, cause it is so much more of a pain to reinstall, and i only use it for games, so i don't care if it fails either, just don't want to have to start over from scratch there

linux is rather fun to start over from scratch with, it is so easy and smooth and there is always some new version to try, anyways

but lm 13 has been going strong for a long time now
lm 14 is doing just fine as well, which i am using right now
sammiev

Post by sammiev »

I have been testing many OS for years and clonezilla has been my best friend.
+1 for clonezilla.

Return to “Software & Applications”