Permanently Change Cinnamon Mouse Cursor Themes

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
wswack

Permanently Change Cinnamon Mouse Cursor Themes

Post by wswack »

Is there a way to permanently change the mouse cursor theme? I have researched this for hours and haven't found an answer. I removed DMZ-white and DMZ-black folders from usr/share/themes and that got the new theme working until the next time I log in. Each time I log in I have to open Cinnamon Settings, change the theme and change it back, then open an Internet browser. Even after resetting the theme in Cinnamon settings the theme doesn't change until I open the browser. Hmmmm!

Bill
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Beardedragon

Re: Permanently Change Cinnamon Mouse Cursor Themes

Post by Beardedragon »

wswack wrote:Is there a way to permanently change the mouse cursor theme? I have researched this for hours and haven't found an answer. I removed DMZ-white and DMZ-black folders from usr/share/themes and that got the new theme working until the next time I log in. Each time I log in I have to open Cinnamon Settings, change the theme and change it back, then open an Internet browser. Even after resetting the theme in Cinnamon settings the theme doesn't change until I open the browser. Hmmmm!

Bill

Code: Select all

gedit /usr/share/icons/default

Then edit index.theme. Change "Inherits=DMZ-White" to name of folder you want used. Use complete address like: [Inherits=/usr/share/themes/name of file] if you leave the icon theme in that folder. then Save. Log out and in to get results.
Last edited by Beardedragon on Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
GeneC

Post by GeneC »

An alternate solution is:
(run this command from terminal. Select theme you want.)

sudo update-alternatives --config x-cursor-theme
Since you removed the default white and black. They, of course will no longer be available. :(
If you want to re-install them, the package is dmz-cursor-theme
wswack

Post by wswack »

Thank you Beardedragon and GeneC for your efforts to help.

I tried both of your tips. The only result of our efforts was to change the little white cursor to a black one. I can't get the white one back now. That's okay because the black one is easier to see. I can still get cursor of choice by changing, changing back, then starting a browser. Interestingly, if I don't toggle the cursor setting the cursor of choice shows up, but only momentarily, while I pass over a link in the browser or drag a file.

I wonder if I can find a way to put a direct link to Themes/Other Setting next to the browser link to save a few mouse clicks.
Verix

Post by Verix »

Beardedragon wrote:

gedit /usr/share/icons/default

Then edit index.theme. Change "Inherits=DMZ-White" to name of folder you want used. Use complete address like: [Inherits=/usr/share/themes/name of file] if you leave the icon theme in that folder. then Save. Log out and in to get results.
This worked for me. I didn't have a folder named default, so I created it and the index.theme file. I also didn't have to specify the full path of cursor theme.
ben2talk

Post by ben2talk »

GeneC wrote:An alternate solution is:
(run this command from terminal. Select theme you want.)

sudo update-alternatives --config x-cursor-theme
Since you removed the default white and black. They, of course will no longer be available. :(
If you want to re-install them, the package is dmz-cursor-theme
This is the one that worked best for me - cursor survives Chromium and Chrome browser (which usually ignores 'user selected' cursor and shows the basic white dmz theme which is set as the root x-11 by default.

Return to “Cinnamon”