Load correct MESA DRI Intel drivers for Linux Mint 14 RC

Write tutorials for Linux Mint here
More tutorials on https://github.com/orgs/linuxmint/discu ... /tutorials and (archive) on https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial
Forum rules
Don't add support questions to tutorials; start your own topic in the appropriate sub-forum instead. Before you post read forum rules
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Load correct MESA DRI Intel drivers for Linux Mint 14 RC

Post by clem »

I've been running an "updated" MDM here since last night and I haven't experienced a single boot with llvmpipe.. of course, it's hard to say for sure since the problem didn't happen all the time in the first place, but it looks good. Basically, the fix consists in mdm checking if plymouth is running and asking it to quit.

We'll do a bit more testing and hopefully we'll have a package update for MDM very soon.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

This issue is now fixed in mdm 1.0.8.
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

clem wrote:This issue is now fixed in mdm 1.0.8.
Excellent! Since the manual fix works for now, I'll wait until the 1.0.8 is pushed through updates. Thanks Clem. :D
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Very impressive! Thanks Clem! :D :) :D
Bali

Post by Bali »

Hi Clem,

Is it fixed for Mint 13? Because until now my computer is slow: time to launch everything after login, also for openind locations (folders, My Computers) and files.
With a fresh install, Mint 13 is ok. But as soon as i do the first big update, everything becaome slow.
For info, I don't have this problem with Mint 9 on the exactlly same Computer/Components.
Also, when I made a Top, I can see Xorg appearing on top of the list; After 10 yearsof using Linux, this is the first time I see it on this rank of Top.

Thanks in advance for help.
esteban1uy

Post by esteban1uy »

Bali wrote:

Hi Clem,

Is it fixed for Mint 13? Because until now my computer is slow: time to launch everything after login, also for openind locations (folders, My Computers) and files.
With a fresh install, Mint 13 is ok. But as soon as i do the first big update, everything becaome slow.
For info, I don't have this problem with Mint 9 on the exactlly same Computer/Components.
Also, when I made a Top, I can see Xorg appearing on top of the list; After 10 yearsof using Linux, this is the first time I see it on this rank of Top.

Wich flavor of Mint 13 are you using?
KDE, Cinnamon, Mate... ?
Please, open a terminal, execute this command and paste the results here in the forum:

Code: Select all

inxi -Fc 0
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Please open a new topic. Xorg's CPU usage has nothing to do with this.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
Bali

Post by Bali »

esteban1uy wrote:
Bali wrote:

Hi Clem,

Wich flavor of Mint 13 are you using?
KDE, Cinnamon, Mate... ?
Please, open a terminal, execute this command and paste the results here in the forum:

inxi -Fc 0
HI,

Here it is. I use Mint 13 Mate 64 Bits.

System:    Host: Bali Kernel: 3.2.0-23-generic x86_64 (64 bit) Desktop: N/A Distro: Linux Mint 13 Maya
Machine:   Mobo: Gigabyte model: G41M-ES2L Bios: Award version: F9 date: 06/21/2010
CPU:       Dual core Intel Core2 Duo CPU E8200 (-MCP-) cache: 6144 KB flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 ssse3 vmx) 
           Clock Speeds: 1: 2000.00 MHz 2: 2000.00 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Intel 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller 
           X.Org: 1.11.3 drivers: intel (unloaded: vesa,fbdev) Resolution: 1280x1024@75.0hz 
           GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel G41 GLX Version: 2.1 Mesa 8.0.4
Audio:     Card-1: Intel N10/ICH 7 Family High Definition Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel Sound: ALSA ver: 1.0.24
           Card-2: Yealink Network VoIP Phone driver: USB Audio
Network:   Card-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller driver: r8169 
           IF: eth0 state: down mac: 00:24:1d:bf:cb:09
           Card-2: Linksys WUSBF54G v1.1 802.11bg driver: zd1211rw 
           IF: wlan0 state: up mac: 00:14:bf:be:a0:91
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 400.1GB (74.7% used) 1: /dev/sda ST380811AS 80.0GB 
           2: /dev/sdb WDC_WD3200AAKS 320.1GB 
Partition: ID: / size: 14G used: 5.2G (39%) fs: ext4 ID: /home size: 61G used: 7.5G (14%) fs: ext4 
Sensors:   Error: You do not have the sensors app installed.
Info:      Processes: 168 Uptime: 2:31 Memory: 957.4/3919.7MB Client: Shell inxi
Thanks
Phyrexus

Post by Phyrexus »

I've been having a similar issue on my laptop tonight. I've been compiling the mesa drivers in the Intel Linux Graphics stack for Intel HD graphics for about a week now with no problems, but today I rebooted my computer and encountered the LLVMPIPE switching. I tried the manual fix above, but it didn't seem to help. I also tried reinstalling all of the mesa and xorg video packages to no avail. I'm running Linux Mint 14, 64 bit with Cinnamon, kernel 3.7.0-7-generic, and graphics drivers from the xorg-edgers PPA.

Please let me know if there's any other information you might need for this. Below is the output from inxi -G when I run it.

~ $ inxi -G
Graphics:  Card: Intel 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller 
           X.Org: 1.13.0.902 driver: FAILED: intel Resolution: 1366x768@60.0hz 
           GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on llvmpipe (LLVM 3.1, 256 bits) GLX Version: 2.1 Mesa 9.1-devel
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Phyrexus wrote:I've been having a similar issue on my laptop tonight. I've been compiling the mesa drivers in the Intel Linux Graphics stack for Intel HD graphics for about a week now with no problems, but today I rebooted my computer and encountered the LLVMPIPE switching. I tried the manual fix above, but it didn't seem to help. I also tried reinstalling all of the mesa and xorg video packages to no avail. I'm running Linux Mint 14, 64 bit with Cinnamon, kernel 3.7.0-7-generic, and graphics drivers from the xorg-edgers PPA.

Please let me know if there's any other information you might need for this. Below is the output from inxi -G when I run it.

~ $ inxi -G
Graphics:  Card: Intel 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller 
           GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on llvmpipe (LLVM 3.1, 256 bits) GLX Version: 2.1 Mesa 9.1-devel
Make sure MDM is at version 1.0.8.
Phyrexus

Post by Phyrexus »

MDM is at version 1.0.8 and I am still experiencing the llvmpipe switch.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Make sure you aren't logged in into Cinnamon 2D.
Phyrexus

Post by Phyrexus »

When I log into Cinnamon (not the 2D option), it boots me back to Gnome Classic. The inxi -G command yields a similar output:

~ $ inxi -G
           GLX Renderer: N/A GLX Version: N/A
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Maybe that chipset doesn't have any acceleration?
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

@ Clem: This is Intel Sandy Bridge. It's pretty recent. GLX Renderer N/A is quite a different problem indeed, so I think Phyrexus could better open a new topic.

Return to “Tutorials”