Mini edition?

Questions and thoughts about present and future editions
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Mini edition?

Postby Mdmint on Tue Jan 01, 2008 5:07 pm

Any news on the mini-cd edition - I am so looking forward to it.

Mdmint
Mdmint
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Mini edition?

Postby BlahBlah_X on Wed Jan 02, 2008 5:04 pm

Good to know you appreciate it, its progressing pretty well. I hope the public and stable beta is out soon, but I have a lot to do in life.
BlahBlah_X
Level 4
Level 4

Postby Day on Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:10 am

BlahBlah_X wrote:Good to know you appreciate it, its progressing pretty well. I hope the public and stable beta is out soon, but I have a lot to do in life.

Looking forward it. But take you time. :D
Day
Level 1
Level 1

Postby JAK on Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:52 pm

There hasn't been much action on this thread. Should I go on with my life assuming this is a dead issue? I would very much like to see a Mint version that is stripped to the bone and efficient enough for older computers. I think "TinyMe 2008", a derivative of of PCLinuxOS 2007 hit the nail on the head. It would be great to have a Mint/Ubuntu/Debian version of what TinyMe has become.

When looking for such a flavor of Linux one comes across a lot of chatter about many people wanting the same thing. Apparently, there are a lot of older computers out there that people would rather recycle into something useful rather than to toss it to the curb for garbage pickup.
Last edited by JAK on Mon Mar 24, 2008 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JAK
Level 3
Level 3

Postby BlahBlah_X on Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:26 pm

This isn't dead, it is up and coming for the Elyssa edition.

I have a mostly finished version now circulating through the mint team testers, but it is not quite ready for public use.
BlahBlah_X
Level 4
Level 4

Postby JAK on Mon Mar 24, 2008 4:51 pm

BlahBlah_X wrote:This isn't dead, it is up and coming for the Elyssa edition.

I have a mostly finished version now circulating through the mint team testers, but it is not quite ready for public use.

NICE! Thanks for the update. I am very much looking forward to seeing that. I have a 7-year old laptop that needs something light, but I want to stay within the Debian/Ubuntu/Mint repos.

Do you have a name for it yet?
JAK
Level 3
Level 3

Postby khai on Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:58 pm

What's going on with this great project?
No rushing just wishing to hear, that it's not dead :)
khai
Level 1
Level 1

Postby freedom on Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:50 pm

So how is this coming along.
I am looking for a debian based distro that is very small with KDE. I found slax linux and it is just about perfect but for a few things.
1. it has no installer
2. there is no fire fox
3. there are no package managers.

A friend of mine has a very old IBM tower with only 64 megs of ram, and 500mhz processor. Slax would work very well, no fire fox means she would have to use Konqueror and she would have a fit over that. Distro watch says that fire fox is in slax 6.0.3 but the version I downloaded was 6.0.7 and I dont see FFin it .

How small is Mint Mini and what will it come with, ie are the listed items there is it KDE ir Gnome, I think she could get by with Gnome. She is very familiar with Mint 5.0KDE because I have it installed on her boy friends PC. Hers has windows 2000 on it and it is giving her trouble.
Will it run on very old hardware?
This is one thing that needs to be. Like I said, slax would work were it not for the items that are very important at getting the os on the drive, internet, and new needed software.
If Mint Mini is going to be out soon I can wait.
Any news would be great.
freedom
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to About Mint Editions