High cpu usage with mintmenu

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Bali

High cpu usage with mintmenu

Post by Bali »

AlbertP wrote:Please open a new topic. Xorg's CPU usage has nothing to do with this.

Hi,

My problem could come from the issue of Intel Driver, Xorg also. This is what i figure out. So at this time my question is on the rigth post.
Also, as I mentionned in an other post, after loggin all the menus take a crazy time to appear and I realized that Python was taking 70% of my cpu...

So this problem could come from many sources, including Intel Drivers at it can slow down a machine

Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Bali

Re: Load correct MESA DRI Intel drivers for Linux Mint 14 RC

Post by Bali »

Hello again,

After a Top and C after loggin, I confirm that is Python that takes more than 95 % of my CPU, for the MintMenu/plugins/get_apt_cache.py. See the screenshot.

I tried to remove Mint update from the automatic software at start up, the problem is still the same.

Any idea ?

Thanks
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

Bali wrote:Hello again,

After a Top and C after loggin, I confirm that is Python that takes more than 95 % of my CPU, for the MintMenu/plugins/get_apt_cache.py. See the screenshot.

I tried to remove Mint update from the automatic software at start up, the problem is still the same.

Any idea ?

Thanks
According to your screenshot it's a plugin in MintMenu (apt-cache?) that appears to be causing the problem, not MintUpdate. You can always try removing MintMenu from the panel as a test just to see if it temporarily solves the problem. I've used LM 13 MATE and am currently using LM 14 MATE neither one has exhibited this problem so it's a strange one.

According to the specs you posted in your previous post the Intel driver is loading correctly and it sounds to me that apt may be stuck. Either way, I believe that AlbertP is correct and you should open another topic, leave the link to that topic here and we can go from there. :D

Update: I don't know what happened but my comment here appears to have become scrambled upon "submit". I did preview it more than once to check for grammatical errors before I posted it so I don't know what happened. I have corrected the rather glaring errors.
Last edited by kmb42vt on Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Bali's GLX Renderer is right; this could of course be an Intel problem but it is not "the" Mint 14 Intel problem. Probably a moderator can split the topic.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
viking777

Re: High cpu usage with mintmenu

Post by viking777 »

Topic split by moderator.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

It appears you are using MATE instead of Cinnamon, is that right?
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
Bali

Post by Bali »

AlbertP wrote:Bali's GLX Renderer is right; this could of course be an Intel problem but it is not "the" Mint 14 Intel problem. Probably a moderator can split the topic.
Ok thanks for the information;

Yes AlbertP, i use Mate. Any idea?

Thank you
Bali

Post by Bali »

kmb42vt wrote:
Bali wrote:Hello again,

Any idea ?

Thanks
According to your screenshot it's a plugin in MintMenu (apt-cache?) that appears to be causing the problem, not MintUpdate. You can always try removing MintMenu from the panel as a test just to see if it temporarily solves the problem. I've used LM 13 MATE and am currently using LM 14 MATE neither one has exhibited this problem so it's a strange one.

According to the specs you posted in your previous post the Intel driver is loading correctly and it sounds to me that apt may be stuck. Either way, I believe that AlbertP is correct and you should open another topic, leave the link to that topic here and we can go from there. :D

Update: I don't know what happened but my comment here appears to have become scrambled upon "submit". I did preview it more than once to check for grammatical errors before I posted it so I don't know what happened. I have corrected the rather glaring errors.
Hi,

Thanks for your help.

I did what you said: removing the Mint Menu: still very slow.

Any other idea?

Thank you.

Bali
Bali

Post by Bali »

Hi,

Until today my problem is not solved . After loggin, icons from desktop and dashboard, and program at startup are crazy slow to comes up.

I unchecked all the software on start up, tried some tricks or fixes from people that have the same problem than me : no success.

I tried to install Mint XFCE 13, and i have the same problem than with Mint Mate 13.
I tried Open Suze 12 : I don't have this kind of problem, like i never had it before with Mint 9.

For now the only solution i found is to install a software named Preload. Now everything runs faster but still too slowly compare to Mint 9 and Open Suze.

More, for me it's not clean : I would like to know what is the software, service that slow down my machine and solve the problem.

I made two bootchart images. But I really don't understand how to read this file: i am not able to deduce anything from it.

Could someone have a look to my two JPEG files and tells me if something looks wrong ?

Thank you so much for your help in advance.
bootchart.png
Bali-maya-20121225-1.png
goetzkluge
Level 3
Level 3

Post by goetzkluge »

I got the same issue. get_apt_cache.py and checkAPT are slowing down the CPU.
goetzkluge
Level 3
Level 3

High cpu usage with mintmenu [SOLVED]

Post by goetzkluge »

goetzkluge wrote:I got the same issue. get_apt_cache.py and checkAPT are slowing down the CPU.
The time synchronization seems to be the problem.

As I run my linux from an external disk and as I used it during a trip on a PC which runs its HW-clock on local time, I had changed UTC in /etc/default/rcS to "NO". (By the way, that didn't help. I still had to readjust the MS-Windows time after running the external Linux).

Anyway, now I am back at my PC which has its HW clock running with UTC. As the setting for travelling was the only thing which I had changed recently, I reckoned that this may have been the culprit.

After setting UTC in /etc/default/rcS to YES again and after running sudo dpkg-reconfigure tzdata in order to select my timezone, the problem with get_apt_cache.py and checkAPT.py disappeared

Return to “Software & Applications”