[solved] restoring x server after failed nv driver install

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jommoner

[solved] restoring x server after failed nv driver install

Post by jommoner »

Hi All

I have spent the best part of a day configuring my Mint 14 install on my MacBook Pro (I got it for iOS development but want to use Mint for everything else because it is,
by far, my preferred OS).

Now I'm going to try to install the proprietary nvidia drivers. This trashed about 4 mint installs a few days ago, due to saying 'the x server failed to start'.

I'm going to try again but would hate to lose all my work. How do I go back to Nouveua after a failed nvidia install? I guess it should be manageable once I have
the X server running, but how do I do that? I will try to set the driver to 'fbdev' but will report back (via Mac OS :( ) if that doesn't work!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Recovering from 'X server failed to start' after proprie

Post by caf4926 »

If you already did this and kind of know what is about to happen.....

Trashed? Most installs are bootable without X

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install nvidia-current
will install the nvidia

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get remove nvidia-current
will remove it

Is what you currently have not sufficient ?
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon
jommoner

Re: Recovering from 'X server failed to start' after proprie

Post by jommoner »

Hi!

Thanks for the help! I managed to recover by first doing 'sudo apt-get remove nvidia-current',
then copying the original xorg.conf back... then
deleting the xorg-xserver-nouvweau (or similiarly named) driver and reinstalling...
then changing the device to 'nouveau' (from vesa) in the original xorg.conf!

So I'm now back on nouveau - my first ever recovery from a failed nvidia install.

Now to try to find out why the nvidia driver 'cannot copy vbios to system ram' :O
polgzz

Re: [solved] restoring x server after failed nv driver insta

Post by polgzz »

Hi jommoner,

I have the same problem, I just tried to install the nvidia latest drivers and my problems started.
Could you please describe in detail your procedure below?
Command lines and instructions are really appreciated.
jommoner wrote:Hi!

Thanks for the help! I managed to recover by first doing 'sudo apt-get remove nvidia-current',
then copying the original xorg.conf back... then
deleting the xorg-xserver-nouvweau (or similiarly named) driver and reinstalling...
then changing the device to 'nouveau' (from vesa) in the original xorg.conf!

So I'm now back on nouveau - my first ever recovery from a failed nvidia install.

Now to try to find out why the nvidia driver 'cannot copy vbios to system ram' :O
Thanks!!
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Re: [solved] restoring x server after failed nv driver insta

Post by MtnDewManiac »

Someone once told me that before installing new graphics drivers, the user must first remove the old ones. Is that true? I admit that I was suspicious, because without graphics, how can you use your computer to even install new things? But an awful lot of people have trouble installing new graphic drivers - maybe that's why?
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.

Return to “Beginner Questions”