Intel D2550 CPU Installation problem

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
cevad
Level 1
Level 1

Intel D2550 CPU Installation problem

Post by cevad »

Hardware: Intel D2550 CPU, 1.86 Ghz. Dual Core - 4 Threats. 4 Gb Ram 1033. 600 Gb Hdd. Intel GMA 3600 integrated graphics. (1366x768 resolution). Brand new computer.

Trying to install LM 14.1 Cinnamon x64. Can not.
(Opensuse can be installed on the system. and win7 and win8) But (ubuntu versions, LM x32, x64 can not)

The problem is xorg. Can not be initialized during the installation process.

There are some known issues as far as I can see from Ubuntu forums. And work around suggestions (-installing from alternate DVD and so on) But I couldn't manage to install LM with those suggestions.

I want to use LM in this computer (like all other 17 computers in the office from all kinds of hardwares.)
Any suggestions / hep will be appreciated.

P.S. Right now computer runs opensuse 12.2 x64 KDE.

Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Intel D2550 CPU Installation problem

Post by xenopeek »

Yes, this Atom processor is problematic and doesn't have a good graphics card driver on Linux: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=105091
cevad
Level 1
Level 1

Post by cevad »

Thank you for the reply. I have seen the post but was still hopefull because of passed 6 months. :)
Although intel has comments, I am experiencing perfect functionality with opensuse 12.2
So I want to keep my hope for LM to adapt on D2550.
Asking for too much?
Thanks.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Perhaps somebody more knowledgeable about graphics cards can pitch in. You could try the MATE, Xfce or KDE edition instead of the Cinnamon edition. Cinnamon requires 3D support which your graphics card on Linux won't have.
cevad
Level 1
Level 1

Post by cevad »

I downloaded 14.1 mate x64 iso after your valuable suggestion.
It end up with the same error message: xorg failed.
Thanks though.
mank_in

Post by mank_in »

I think you can try LM13 MATE ( based on ubuntu 12.04 ), i reads around webs , ubuntu 12.10 not boot on ATOM cedarview/cedartrail but ubuntu 12.04 can boot.
Check this out : http://daily.siebler.eu/2012/06/ubuntu- ... 000-serie/
cevad
Level 1
Level 1

Post by cevad »

Thanks for the inspiring suggestion.
I tried lm 13 cinnamon x64 (-I like cinnamon :) )and YES. I installed this version.
That is great for me.
Now the question is how to switch to lm 14? Fresh install will not work. So package fights thru apt seems to be the only way. Am I right? Or is there any shortcut for me (-having 14.1 iso in my hand.)?
Thanks again for great suggestions.
cevad
Level 1
Level 1

Post by cevad »

SOLVED
This is an update to share the experience.

I installed LM 13 Cinnamon x64.
then upgrade it to 14 by APT commands. (http://www.howtoforge.com/how-to-upgrad ... a-with-apt )
It took ages to download and upgrade but the result is perfect.
All the hardware components recognized by lm14 without single problem including graphic card and resolution. Cinnamon works perfect.

The conclusion:
there is a bug or some misarrangement in the installation process. Specifically on mdm initialization and/or parameter problem at xorg. Unfotunately I am not knowlegable enough to trace the root of the problem.
I believe that this parameter or mdm settings could be fixed very easily by experienced developers which will make it possible for all of us to use instsllstion dvd's directly.
I am very glad to have lm final release on my computer.
Thank you for all the support and suggestions from you.
best wishes.
i.am.stack

Post by i.am.stack »

Mank_in and Cevad, you are my heros of the day!

I just got a gift in the mail today. An Acer Aspire One AOD270-26Dkk with Intel Atom N2600.

I was very pleased with Ubuntu 10.04 on my old laptop before it died. A friend had been trying to convince me to switch to Mint for a while and I decided a new laptop should get a new OS. I couldn't get Nadia (14) to get past the Xorg failures when booting from the thumbdrive. I was getting very discouraged and about to give up when I found this post.

Installation of Maya (13) MATE went smoothly and so did the update to Nadia (14). The laptop is running smoothly and I am very pleased with it so far. Nothing seems to be broken or acting oddly; everything is working that I can tell so far.

Thanks for the help!
cevad
Level 1
Level 1

Post by cevad »

Just a status update.
The specific computer still on duty and running LM 18.3 xfce. :)
All I have done is following the update instructions at every update.

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”