[SOLVED] Window borders missing. (XFCE)

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Jorh

[SOLVED] Window borders missing. (XFCE)

Post by Jorh »

In the late octobers, maybe 25-30, I updated. Then later, I rebooted. I opened up my home folder from the desktop icon to find a borderless window jammed up in the top left corner.

Anyways, I've been updating and rebooting every day or so in the hopes that the problem will go away. It hasn't.

Specs on my system: I'm using LMDE XFCE 64 bit on a Dell Inspiron 1525 that I got for free. My aunt and uncle gave it to my stepfather to dispose of because they thought it was broken. I replaced the faulty power cable and vista (factory faulty) and got what is the most powerful computer in my (poor) house. It's dual core CPU running at 2GHz, 3GB RAM, and some uninspired intel graphics chip.

Specs on myself: I've been using Linux since a few years back in Ubuntu 8.04 . I've migrated around extensively. My main OS previously (and maybe still is) is Arch Linux on my netbook. I've gotten quite used to the terminal and the no-nonsense configuration. I picked it out because it is light, has a rolling release, and has up to date packages. I suggest Linux Mint as a first Linux OS to people I try to "convert" to open source users. When I got this computer, I had not yet chosen an OS to put on there. While I love Arch, it takes me quite a while to tweak it perfectly. So I looked back to Mint. I had known about LMDE for awhile (yes, I keep tabs on other distros). I tried running a Live version. To my pleasant surprise, I found it looked quite like normal Mint, and it had recent (enough) packages. Anyways, it was what I needed. However, I'm not as good at configuring Debian distros. I do all sorts of crazy things on my OSes as well. Like messing with tracking the makehuman nightly repo and compiling libraries, etc. Anyways, this could somehow be my fault and I don't realize it.

Anyways, I have tried to think of ways to fix this. In the end, there is always reinstallation of the OS. The way that I thought might work without total reinstallation is to reinstall only XFCE. I'm worried this will make it have default XFCE looks instead of Minty looks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
sagirfahmid3

Re: Window borders missing.

Post by sagirfahmid3 »

Window borders are missing because for some reason the window manager stopped working.
First, read this post, this might be your problem: http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=564394
It has been solved. Look at the very last post.

If the above method doesn't work, then do this:
1.Open terminal>"gksu pcmanfm">browse to /etc/xdg/autostart/
2.Make a new file in this folder.
3.Edit the empty file with Gedit or Leafpad or whatever text editor you have.
4.Copy and paste this whole thing:

Code: Select all

[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=xfwm4
Comment=xfwm4
Exec=xfwm4
Terminal=false
Type=Application
OnlyShowIn=XFCE;
5.Click on File>Save As>"xfwm4.desktop"
6.Logout and log back in, and it should work.

Let me know the results.
dritzominous
Level 3
Level 3

Post by dritzominous »

Meh, I had this problem yesterday.

Open a terminal and type in:

Code: Select all

sudo xfwm4 --replace
And after you're done, add the command to startup.
Jorh

Post by Jorh »

I got it working again. The gentoo forum thing worked.

Well, that's not the entire story. I guess I've been out of it all day. I jumped the gun and did the thing in your shiny code box. It worked. Then I realized you posted that as a backup. I removed the file, removed the xfce sessions, and logged out and in. It still works. So, for reference, both of those worked.

Thanks so much for your help. I add another story to my arsenal of how Linux is better than Windows at most things. But of course, none of it would be possible without awesome communities like this.
smonty

Re: [SOLVED] Window borders missing. (XFCE)

Post by smonty »

i have mint 13, xfce. i have same problem but with sagirfahmid3 help i solved problem. many thanks :)

Return to “LMDE Archive”