Cannot lock screen on Linux Mint 13 w Cinnamon

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Alex78

Cannot lock screen on Linux Mint 13 w Cinnamon

Post by Alex78 »

Hello,

I am getting no response at all when trying to lock the screen. I've tried Ctrl + Alt + L as well as the "Lock screen" option on the menu.

I initially installed MATE, then switched to Cinnamon simply by installing it from Synaptic and then switching session at the login prompt, it used to work fine in MATE.

Please advice, I need this functionality.

Regards
Alex
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
amc6010
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Cannot lock screen on Linux Mint 13 w Cinnamon

Post by amc6010 »

I have the same problem - installed the MATE edition first, added the Cinnamon packages, but the lock screen button doesn't work. I can't find "Terminal" in the menu either, and choosing "Open In Terminal" on the desktop background doesn't seem to work either...
pruitthall

Post by pruitthall »

Same exact problem here. In fact, have three fairly large issues with my install of Cinnamon, all related to the desktop and/or login.

1-Cannot lock screen. Keystrokes nor menu selection will lock it. Nothing happens at all. And, yes, I totally need this functionality.

2--Time. I have the time configured correctly and when I log in, it grabs the network time and the world is a happy place. Unfortunately, from that point on, it never UPDATES the time.

3--I'm running a USB stick and booting my Lenovo laptop to it. Again, works well. But I cannot for the life of me, get MY user ID to appear first; it always boots into Minut Live User.

I think Cinnamon has great, seriously great potential. But if it was as easy-going as plain jane Debian, I'd be a happy camper.
Alex78

Post by Alex78 »

Is it possible to lock the screen from the command line? I'd like to try it to see if I get an error message.

I am thinking of something in the lines of this post here but requires an install of gnome screensaver which I am not sure if I should.
amc6010
Level 1
Level 1

Post by amc6010 »

Alex78 wrote:I am thinking of something in the lines of this post here but requires an install of gnome screensaver which I am not sure if I should.
Installing that should be fine. That post you looked at seemed a bit old, but this link suggests how to do it for Cinnamon and proposes exactly the same thing.

I've decided to install Linux Mint 13 Cinnamon instead, and then install MATE. I'm yet to see if doing things that way round is easier, or whether MATE ends up being just as broken as Cinnamon was when installed to a MATE install.
Siou

Post by Siou »

Got the same problem after installing cinnamon.
I resolved it by adding gnome-screensaver package
amc6010
Level 1
Level 1

Post by amc6010 »

Follow up to my previous message - getting MATE working on a Cinnamon install is much easier than getting Cinnamon working on a MATE install. For anyone wanting to run both, I would suggest doing it that way round.
Alex78

Post by Alex78 »

I got it working to. Just to summarize for the next reader.

- Install gnome-screensaver by typing:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install gnome-screensaver
- This did not help for the menu item for locking, but at least now I can lock using control+alt+l
yzyang1989

Post by yzyang1989 »

It works on my laptop with "Right_Ctrl + Left_Alt +l".
beriaanirudh

Post by beriaanirudh »

Siou wrote:Got the same problem after installing cinnamon.
I resolved it by adding gnome-screensaver package
joachim

Post by joachim »

the gnome-screensaver is very buggy in my experience. just removed it again.
pearwood

Post by pearwood »

There is a simple workaround I discovered while solving the same issue with xscreensaver on Gnome.

stryon@d-validate07:/usr/bin$ sudo ln -s /usr/bin/cinnamon-screensaver-command gnome-screensaver-command

stryon@d-validate07:/usr/bin$ ll *saver*
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 136320 May 5 15:15 cinnamon-screensaver
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 15080 May 5 15:15 cinnamon-screensaver-command
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 122 May 12 12:57 cinnamon-screensaver-lock-dialog
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 37 May 15 11:21 gnome-screensaver-command -> /usr/bin/cinnamon-screensaver-command
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 25430 Mar 20 14:47 xdg-screensaver

Now Ctr-Alt-l works for me.

I would expect this to work out-of-the-box with a clean Linux Mint. I'm running Cinnamon on top of Ubuntu on this system, so I'm not terribly surprised I confused it.

Steve
ashdasok

Post by ashdasok »

Hi all,

I am using MInt 15 with Cinnamon in a usb bootable environment. Now everything seemes to run fine except one and the important one.
I cannot lock the desktop. Lock button doesnot work. MENU>SYSTEM SETTINGS>SCREENSAVER and LOCK Settings shows the LOCK slide button inactive. I installed cinnamon-screensaver but it dowsnot work (couldnot find the settings option for the screensaver anywhere in menu). Uninstalled cinnamon-screensaver and installed gnome-screensaver but the problem remains same. Ctrl+Alt+L doesnot do anything. My system is HP Elitebook 2540P. I am planning to use this in my office but without lock screen option the whole setup is useless. Need some serious help here.

Return to “Cinnamon”