Shutdown time and Brightness

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
yatin

Shutdown time and Brightness

Post by yatin »

Hi,

I installed Mint 14 Nadia on my HP Pavilion dv6 Laptop with a HM65 Chipset MoBo with Intel HD3000 (it may be 3100, not sure) this week and was really impressed by the performance. I have a Corsair SSD and boot time from GRUB to Login screen is 4 seconds and all application open instantly (at least the once I use). But for some reason it takes more than 20 seconds to shutdown the system. Also, I am unable to change my monitor Brightness using either the fn+F2/fn+F3 keys or the Brightness option in System Settings.

Thanks,
Yatin
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
stratus_ss

Re: Shutdown time and Brightness

Post by stratus_ss »

I am not sure what is going on with the shutdown but can you try dropping to a TTY and trying your brightness?

doing ctrl + alt + f2

Then do your hardware brightness controls. If this works, I can probably help you get it going. I had the same problem on my laptop (though different video card)
yatin

Post by yatin »

hi status,
i tried your suggestion and dropped to a TTY (1-7) and used my fn+F2 and fn+F3 keys and it didn't work.
Do you about the "acpi=vendor" or something similar for kernel params.
stratus_ss

Post by stratus_ss »

This is what i have in /etc/default/grub

Code: Select all

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash acpi_backlight=vendor acpi_osi=Linux"
Its worth trying. Additionally I had to have nVidia create an xorg.conf
This is the key section

Code: Select all

Section "Device"
    Identifier     "Device0"
    Driver         "nvidia"
    VendorName     "NVIDIA Corporation"
    BoardName      "GeForce GTX 460M"
    Option "RegistryDwords" "EnableBrightnessControl=1"
EndSection
Note the option I specified
yatin

Post by yatin »

the "acpi_backlight=vendor" fixed it, thanks.
now lets see what the shutdown delay is about.
stratus_ss

Post by stratus_ss »

what I would suggest you do is shut down the computer. Then reboot a live cd so that nothing writes to the logs. That way when you extract the /var/log folder you will know the last stuff in each log is related to shutdown
airmobil

Post by airmobil »

Hello everyone,

I recently installed Mint 14 Nadia on my Sony Vaio SVT131A11L and have been experiencing similar problems not being able to adjust my brightness using either the menu or the Fn + F5/F6 keys. I tried GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="acpi_backlight=vendor" as per a suggestion on another forum as well as GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash acpi_backlight=vendor acpi_osi=Linux" as per the suggestion in this forum. The first suggestion resulted in no changes, while the second suggestion resulted in the Fn + F5/F6 keys working, but only for one brightness level, and even then the brightness did not appear to visually adjust. I still cannot adjust using the menus either.

This is my first experience using any version of Linux so I appreciate any help I can get.
stratus_ss

Post by stratus_ss »

When was the last time you ran updates?

can you tell me what kernel you are running?

(the output of 'uname -a')
airmobil

Post by airmobil »

I just installed the operating system a couple days ago, and I updated the system using the update manage shortly after installing it. I also updated GRUB after each time making the changes I mentioned prior to rebooting the system.

The kernel is Linux 3.5.0-17-generic (i686) Thanks for the help!

Return to “Hardware Support”