[Solved] Add users to group?

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
turqoisehex
Level 2
Level 2

[Solved] Add users to group?

Post by turqoisehex »

Mint 14 cinnamon, clean install.

As far back as 2006 I remember there being an easy to use GUI option for adding users to groups in Linux, but for some reason I can't find it in this release. Is it placed in a strange location, or not included? Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Add users to group?

Post by altair4 »

Add a package:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install gnome-system-tools
Then in the menu is listed as Menu > Administration > Users and Groups.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
turqoisehex
Level 2
Level 2

Post by turqoisehex »

Ok, thanks. I'll mark it as solved, though it seems strange to me that the functionality isn't included by default.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

turqoisehex wrote:Ok, thanks. I'll mark it as solved, though it seems strange to me that the functionality isn't included by default.
"gnome-system-tools" is a Gnome2 utility repackaged to run in a Gnome3 environment. The "User Accounts" utility built into Mint that does not allow you to manipulate groups is a native Gnome3 utility. Mint is using Gnome3 as a basis for it's redefinition of the desktop environment.

If I were to detail in length my true opinion of Gnome3 and the apparent lack of adult supervision of it's design process I would be banned from this forum. Let's just say that Gnome3 doesn't think you have a need to modify groups or if you do then you would already know how to do it from the command line.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
Hawkeye_52

Post by Hawkeye_52 »

altair4 wrote:
turqoisehex wrote:Ok, thanks. I'll mark it as solved, though it seems strange to me that the functionality isn't included by default.
"If I were to detail in length my true opinion of Gnome3 and the apparent lack of adult supervision of it's design process I would be banned from this forum. Let's just say that Gnome3 doesn't think you have a need to modify groups or if you do then you would already know how to do it from the command line."
Just another frustrated user/observer who gives you +10 'attaboys' for your concise and precise observations on the dismal state of Gnome development :evil: :cry: :!: ...

Hawkeye52
turqoisehex
Level 2
Level 2

Re: [Solved] Add users to group?

Post by turqoisehex »

:lol: thanks guys, I think we're definitely on the same page, and I am glad that this great community exists to make all of this come together. I'm blown away at how great Mint 14 Cinnamon is compared to Mint 12, and how many light years ahead of the standard Gnome 3 shell it is.

Return to “Cinnamon”