[Solved] Wifi to Ethernet...is it possible?

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Music Guy123

[Solved] Wifi to Ethernet...is it possible?

Post by Music Guy123 »

Hi there,

I have been a linux user for about a year now and a mint user fairly recently and have got to say I am loving it! Now, I have an old desktop running LMDE (XFCE) and a 3 year old laptop running mint 13 (cinnamon). The laptop is my main computer. Anyway, my router is in another room but I need to get internet to my desktop (doesn't have a wifi card). At the moment, I have to log onto windows on my laptop and bridge the connections. So, how do i do this under linux mint? To take internet from my laptop's wifi card and send it out via ethernet to the desktop?

I hope someone can help, it'll be much appreciated!

All the best,

Music Guy
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ChinaJ

Re: Wifi to Ethernet...is it possible?

Post by ChinaJ »

Go to Network Connections (I usually just click on the network icon, but it all depends on your DE), find your network adapter, Edit, then IPv4, and rather than DHCP in the pull-down menu, choose "Shared to Other Computers". I recommend restarting the system, but you can just disable/re-enable networking, and you should be good to go. Just plug in and go.

Note: I just messed around with this a bit on Maya-XFCE, and I had to do the "Shared to Other Computer" on the NIC going out to the computer (in my case, it was actually a wireless router, not a computer) rather than on the NIC with the internet coming in (in your case, the wireless adapter). There may be some other tweaks you'll need to do, but I've found from my Googling that it seems to be hit or miss. Some people make the one change ("Shared"), while others have to do more. For me, doing the "Shared" thing on my incoming adapter made it impossible to connect to my ISP. Very weird. That's why I did it on the other adapter.
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

My approach would be to run an Ethernet cable to the other room with the router (doesn't it have any Ethernet ports you can use ??)
--most routers, even cheap ones do: wireless or not..

Or move into the other room (with the notebook..), if I wanted a shorter cable connection..
Music Guy123

Post by Music Guy123 »

Thanks, it worked via the first method (with a little playing about!)! Except, firefox now won't open anything...doesn't even give an error just says fails to look up address... any ideas?

I can't move my router, ideally, I'd have homeplugs and these are an investment I plan to make :) !

Thank you so much everyone for the help...I can't tell you how wonderful and appreciated it is!

All the best, have a good Xmas,

Music Guy
ChinaJ

Post by ChinaJ »

Yeah, told you you'd have to play around a bit. :D

Sounds like the DNS causing issues for you. Run the following on your laptop and paste the output:

Code: Select all

ifconfig -a
And merry Christmas to you!
Music Guy123

Post by Music Guy123 »

Here is the output of 'ifconfig -a' on my laptop:

Code: Select all

eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:26:22:55:30:ee  
          inet addr:10.42.0.1  Bcast:10.42.0.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
          inet6 addr: fe80::226:22ff:fe55:30ee/64 Scope:Link
          UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          RX packets:443 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:448 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000 
          RX bytes:63239 (63.2 KB)  TX bytes:66176 (66.1 KB)
          Interrupt:19 

lo        Link encap:Local Loopback  
          inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
          inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
          UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:16436  Metric:1
          RX packets:21815 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:21815 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:0 
          RX bytes:1200174 (1.2 MB)  TX bytes:1200174 (1.2 MB)

wlan0     Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:22:5f:f8:be:8d  
          inet addr:192.168.1.22  Bcast:192.168.1.222  Mask:255.255.255.0
          inet6 addr: fe80::222:5fff:fef8:be8d/64 Scope:Link
          UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          RX packets:388368 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:308372 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000 
          RX bytes:509120504 (509.1 MB)  TX bytes:36472545 (36.4 MB)
Does that show anything?? Also just as a note, skype and update manager are working fine.

Thanks again for all the wonderful help. All the best

Music Guy
Music Guy123

Post by Music Guy123 »

Yayy (somehow) I managed to sort it lol!

I did it by going into System>Network

On the DNS tab, it had my wired ip address. So I deleted that and added the two dns numbers that were under dns on my laptop's wifi. It seemed to work :) !

Thanks again for all the help everyone, much appreciated.

Have a good Xmas all!

All the best

Music Guy

Return to “Networking”