MATE vs CINNAMON vs KDE

Chat about Linux in general

Re: MATE vs CINNAMON vs KDE

Postby Catbuntu on Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:16 pm

Cinnamon doesn't eat a lot of system specs, at least on my computer (and my computer usually does odd things). I'm currently running KVIrc, Firefox + Flash and a Terminal with top, and it's just using ~700MiB of RAM, and ~14% of CPU... I never tried MATE on my "real" computer, just on Virtual Boxes, but perhaps I should give it a try.
I also love XFCE, my other OS is Xubuntu which I customized a bit and it's also very fast... And KDE is the most heavy of them, AFAIK.

Catbuntu
Image
Acer Aspire 6930.
CPU→Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2,00GHz. RAM3GB. Graphics card→NVIDIA GeForce 9300M GS. O.S.→Linux Mint 14.1 «Nadia» 64-bit Cinnamon ed.
Catbuntu's Bloggie
User avatar
Catbuntu
Level 2
Level 2
 
Posts: 73
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:37 pm
Location: Catalunya

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.
 

Re: MATE vs CINNAMON vs KDE

Postby EmpireITtech on Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:37 pm

tomeuari wrote:Cinnamon doesn't eat a lot of system specs, at least on my computer (and my computer usually does odd things). I'm currently running KVIrc, Firefox + Flash and a Terminal with top, and it's just using ~700MiB of RAM, and ~14% of CPU... I never tried MATE on my "real" computer, just on Virtual Boxes, but perhaps I should give it a try.
I also love XFCE, my other OS is Xubuntu which I customized a bit and it's also very fast... And KDE is the most heavy of them, AFAIK.

Catbuntu


Why/How does your PC do "odd things"?
Is it bc of Minux Mint or just in general?
Linux: Mint 16 Petra Cinnamon
Box: Intel Core 2 Quad | 8gb RAM | 500 gb WD 7200rpm | nVidia Geforce GTS250
Pants: 32x30
User avatar
EmpireITtech
Level 4
Level 4
 
Posts: 206
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:45 am

Re: MATE vs CINNAMON vs KDE

Postby Catbuntu on Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:29 pm

EmpireITtech wrote:
tomeuari wrote:Cinnamon doesn't eat a lot of system specs, at least on my computer (and my computer usually does odd things). I'm currently running KVIrc, Firefox + Flash and a Terminal with top, and it's just using ~700MiB of RAM, and ~14% of CPU... I never tried MATE on my "real" computer, just on Virtual Boxes, but perhaps I should give it a try.
I also love XFCE, my other OS is Xubuntu which I customized a bit and it's also very fast... And KDE is the most heavy of them, AFAIK.

Catbuntu


Why/How does your PC do "odd things"?
Is it bc of Minux Mint or just in general?


Hahha, it happens with any distro. When I install the propietary drivers, CPU percentage is much more higher than with nouveau, and although all is more smooth, when a lot of windows are opened the effects are very slow (so I always disable the effects).
Last edited by Catbuntu on Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image
Acer Aspire 6930.
CPU→Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2,00GHz. RAM3GB. Graphics card→NVIDIA GeForce 9300M GS. O.S.→Linux Mint 14.1 «Nadia» 64-bit Cinnamon ed.
Catbuntu's Bloggie
User avatar
Catbuntu
Level 2
Level 2
 
Posts: 73
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:37 pm
Location: Catalunya

Re: MATE vs CINNAMON vs KDE

Postby EmpireITtech on Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:45 pm

tomeuari wrote:Hahha, it happens with any distro. When I install the propietary drivers, CPU percentage is much more higher than with nouveau, and althogh all is more smooth, when a lot of windows are opened the effects are very slow (so I always disable the effects).


Gotcha, I haven't had any issues with Mint 13 or now Mint 14 on my Intel based platform. Anyway, glad you like Mint, bc I've been blown away by it :mrgreen:
Linux: Mint 16 Petra Cinnamon
Box: Intel Core 2 Quad | 8gb RAM | 500 gb WD 7200rpm | nVidia Geforce GTS250
Pants: 32x30
User avatar
EmpireITtech
Level 4
Level 4
 
Posts: 206
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:45 am

Re: MATE vs CINNAMON vs KDE

Postby caerolle on Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:57 pm

cwwgateway wrote:
caerolle wrote:If you want lots of effects and flexibility, but not a lot of overhead, I would recommend Enlightenment. However, last time I tried the e17 package in the Mint repo with my Mint 13 (Maya) install, it reliably seg-faulted every time I tried to do anything past logging in. It could have been an issue with my proprietary graphics driver, but I didn't try it without the driver installed, as I need it for one of my programs. I don't know if they have updated the e17 package to something more stable now (I am currently using a different distro, focuses on Enlightenment, and have no issues with stability, but that is even farther astray of your question).

I love E17, but there aren't too many distros with it (just like Razor QT, which is actually another option). SnowLinux has a Debian Testing based E17 edition, which I really like. Bhodi is my favorite Ubuntu-based distro with E17, but it only does new releases based on LTS releases.

I don't know of any distros with great Razor QT versions. Siduction has a Razor QT version, but it is very bland and default-ish. It is very cool and pretty lightweight, though, and when customized it can look very good.


Bodhi is what I use. They backport the newer things, so even though the current version is based on the current Ubuntu LTS, is has the newer stuff. For example, we have the 3.5 kernel now, just the same as Ubuntu. And we will have the latest e17 release a few days from now. I am actually already using it from our testing repo, and it is awesome!
caerolle
Level 3
Level 3
 
Posts: 143
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:50 pm

Re: MATE vs CINNAMON vs KDE

Postby cwwgateway on Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:00 pm

caerolle wrote:
cwwgateway wrote:
caerolle wrote:If you want lots of effects and flexibility, but not a lot of overhead, I would recommend Enlightenment. However, last time I tried the e17 package in the Mint repo with my Mint 13 (Maya) install, it reliably seg-faulted every time I tried to do anything past logging in. It could have been an issue with my proprietary graphics driver, but I didn't try it without the driver installed, as I need it for one of my programs. I don't know if they have updated the e17 package to something more stable now (I am currently using a different distro, focuses on Enlightenment, and have no issues with stability, but that is even farther astray of your question).

I love E17, but there aren't too many distros with it (just like Razor QT, which is actually another option). SnowLinux has a Debian Testing based E17 edition, which I really like. Bhodi is my favorite Ubuntu-based distro with E17, but it only does new releases based on LTS releases.

I don't know of any distros with great Razor QT versions. Siduction has a Razor QT version, but it is very bland and default-ish. It is very cool and pretty lightweight, though, and when customized it can look very good.


Bodhi is what I use. They backport the newer things, so even though the current version is based on the current Ubuntu LTS, is has the newer stuff. For example, we have the 3.5 kernel now, just the same as Ubuntu. And we will have the latest e17 release a few days from now. I am actually already using it from our testing repo, and it is awesome!

I have heard a lot of good things about Bhodi. I have used it in the past, but recently I've been trying to use pure Debian-based distros. Still, Bhodi is really great and it's interesting that they backport packages. I personally prefer LTS Ubuntu releases, anyway.
Dell XPS 15 l502x - Debian Testing 64-bit NetInst Xfce, SolydX 64-bit Debian Testing, SolydK 64-bit SolydXK Testing
Old Gateway Pentium 4 Desktop - Arch Linux 64-bit Xfce and SolydX 32-bit Sid
cwwgateway
Level 5
Level 5
 
Posts: 839
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:44 pm

Re: MATE vs CINNAMON vs KDE

Postby Sioux on Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:30 pm

Just to give you an idea of my fossil here ... :D

nForce4 mainboard, Athlon64 3200+, Radeon x1300, 1GB RAM

Been dual booting between WinXP, and Mint Cinnamon across 12, 13, and now 14 and it was smooth going until 14. With 14 and 1.6, Cinnamon seems to be more sluggish, but it's probably because I haven't really tweaked my system yet. I usually disable services and stuff I don't need or use such as bluetooth and the like, and haven't gotten around it yet. But I can honestly say the performance on this ancient hardware is leagues, and leagues, leagues better then Windows7. Sometimes better than XP! :shock: I actually liked running XP on this hardware in a fake-raid array, but it wasn't necessary. With Windows7, it was. I could feel my arteries harden every time I booted or rebooted 7 without RAID. XP is tolerable. But man ... if only XP could boot and shutdown as fast as Linux Mint ... :twisted:
Sioux
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:55 pm

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.
 
Previous

Return to Chat about Linux

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 6 guests