My HDD isn't recognized

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
newn

My HDD isn't recognized

Post by newn »

When I'm trying to install Mint, I boot it from the CD of Cinnamon x64, however my hard drive isn't recognized. I can still access it from the file browser, mount/unmounts partitions, browse and open files, etc., but it is not recognized in the installation menu.

Since I am using it with Windows 7 and 8, AND I can browse it in the filebrowser when using the live CD, the problem seems to be with the installation script.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
usbtux

Re: My HDD isn't recognized

Post by usbtux »

How many primary partition do you have on the HDD?
newn

Post by newn »

4 partitions.
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

So, 4 partitions are the max, if they are all primary, therefor no space (partition available) to install any OS, if you also try with one of your window OS, you may get the option to delete one of the partitions, for the reason indicated (max partitions in use..)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disk_part ... tion_types
  • The total data storage space of a PC hard disk can be divided into at most four primary partitions, or alternatively three primary partitions and an extended partition. These partitions are described by 16-byte entries that constitute the Partition Table, located in the master boot record.
newn

Post by newn »

Makes sense, didn't know that, thanks for explaining.

Return to “Installation & Boot”