SOLVED? Some games mess with my icon placement

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
peyrol
Level 3
Level 3

SOLVED? Some games mess with my icon placement

Post by peyrol »

I am running LMDE with kernel 3.2.0-3-amd64 and MATE. The mate-core package is 1.4.8+wheezy.

I have noticed, with a couple of games I play which display fullscreen, that when I exit from them, the placement of some of my desktop icons has been messed up. My native resolution is 1920x1080 and both games use a lower resolution. My icons are in two columns on the left, which extend from top to bottom of the screen. I suspect the game programs restore the desktop screen before they restore the higher native resolution, and the icons on the bottom get moved up so they stay visible on the screen. I don't know if this is entirely the fault of the game programmers, or if Mate should prevent this from happening.

How can I go about finding where the problem lies and fixing it? Is there some log file which records desktop manager events? The games in question are Critical Mass (Debian package 1:1.0.0-1.5) and Hex-a-hop (installed from hex-a-hop-1.1.0.tar.gz). Thanks for any clue.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Orbmiser

Re: Some games mess with my icon placement

Post by Orbmiser »

"My native resolution is 1920x1080 and both games use a lower resolution."
Hope you find an answer. As have the same issue on Windows 7 side with yahoo widgets.
And never got it resolved and just shutdown yahoo widgets before running game.

Might hide desktop icons before starting game then quit out of game and turn desktop icons back on.
And see if that helps? Sorry all I can think of at the moment.
peyrol
Level 3
Level 3

Post by peyrol »

Thanks, I just play those games in windowed mode now, although the Hexahop window is small and won't resize. Maybe I should ask them about a hack to double the dimensions...
peyrol
Level 3
Level 3

Post by peyrol »

Ever since UP6, this does not seem to happen any more :-) I can play these games full screen again.

Return to “LMDE Archive”