Very happy new Mint user ...

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Very happy new Mint user ...

Post by Hoser Rob »

Been using ubuntu since the summer, though I switched to xubuntu. I got an Acer netbook a few days ago that, it turns out, has the notorious Cedarview/PowerVR hardware.

Now, it's a netbook. I didn't get it for playing 1080p video, but if I had I would have been much more annoyed. But having to adjust the brightness in the terminal is a wee bit frustrating. Editing the rc.local file works fine until you want to change the level, and coming out of suspend it resets to max.

So after a number of attempts, bricking the video, and much aggravation trying to use recovery mode, I tried Mint 13 Xfce. Especially since you get xfce 4.10 with the lts version, which does not work properly in xubuntu. That was encouraging. And I think that xfce 4.10 is definitely better than 4.08.

This morning I installed the cedarview packages from synaptic, and whaddya know. The brightness control from the keyboard works fine. Haven't done much more videon testing though. I just want this machine for knocking around.

I suppose there's an advantage to making more incremental upgrades as mint seems to. That's also one of the things I like about xfce.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
The-Wizard

Re: Very happy new Mint user ...

Post by The-Wizard »

I also have an old acer zg5 netbook running full blown mint 14 cinamon and it works fine [would work better if i had more than 500mb ram]

Welcome to the Mint family forums

wizard
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Welcome to Linux Mint :D
overthetop

Post by overthetop »

Welcome aboard! :P
jesica

Post by jesica »

:mrgreen:

Good day and welcome to Linux Mint,

Hope you will enjoy it as much as we do.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”