Mint 14 MATE runs hot on ThinkPad

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Turnabout945

Mint 14 MATE runs hot on ThinkPad

Post by Turnabout945 »

Hi everyone,

I've got an IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T60p. I've been trying to get Mint 14 MATE 32 bit running on it (getting REALLY tired of XP's security problems!), but Mint seems to idle about as hot as XP runs with the Google Earth flight simulator. Any thoughts on what I might be able to do about that? Thanks!

A little more in my computer:
Intel Core 2 Duo T7600 (2.33 gHz x2)
2 GB RAM
ATI Graphics card with 512 MB memory

Just let me know if there's any other info that might be useful!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
rbeltz48
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Mint 14 MATE runs hot on ThinkPad

Post by rbeltz48 »

By "hot" do you mean the CPU temperature or something else? I have Mint 13 MATE on my T60 and Ubuntu 10.10 on my two T61s and I don't notice any physical temp problem. Could it be a hardware CPU fan problem?
Turnabout945

Re: Mint 14 MATE runs hot on ThinkPad

Post by Turnabout945 »

By hot, I mean when I reach under the computer on the left down by the cooling system and the CPU, it's HOT to the touch. The fan does have a ton of runtime on it, but it still keeps it very cool running XP unless I'm doing something intensive. Maybe I'll try out Mint 13 and see what happens...seems like 13 runs cooler than 14 from the research I've done.

Return to “Other topics”