Volume slider goes directly from silent to incredibly loud

Questions about codecs, DVD playback, web plugins...
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

Volume slider goes directly from silent to incredibly loud

Postby valtiel on Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:26 pm

I installed Mint 14 recently and I have a weird issue with the audio volume controls. It seems like the scale on the volume slider is totally off. If I slide it all the way to the left the audio is completely silent as you'd expect, but when I slide it only a tiny bit to the right (like a couple of pixels) then the audio is immediately at full volume. And sliding it further to the right makes no change to the audio levels after that.

This happens when I use the volume slider of the sound app in the panel, but also if I open the Sound application and adjust the Output Volume slider there. In either case I'm at full volume when the slider is only at like 2% and then for the remaining 98% of the bar the audio volume just stays identical.

Does anyone recognize this problem and know any solution for it? It's really annoying because it means my audio basically only has 3 settings: completely silent, kind of quiet, and incredibly loud. There's no way to adjust it to anything inbetween those.
valtiel
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Volume slider goes directly from silent to incredibly lo

Postby valtiel on Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:37 am

Well I found a solution. The fix posted in this thread worked for me: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1317562
valtiel
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Sound, Multimedia, & Codecs