Oracle VM Virtualbox or VMware player?

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
malligt
Level 4
Level 4

Oracle VM Virtualbox or VMware player?

Post by malligt »

Which is the preferred piece of software for Mint 13 or Mint 14?

Virtualbox is in the software manager, but not VMware.

Recent reviews of Vmware seem to say it outshines Virtualbox in ease of use.

Hence my question -- which is the preferred virtual machine software to the readers?

Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Oracle VM Virtualbox or VMware player?

Post by xenopeek »

Moved your topic here, as this isn't a request for support but for opinions. Hence moving it to chat :)

Personally I just use VirtualBox as, and you already mentioned this, you can easily install it from the repositories. And I need to be able to easily run all the various Linux Mint versions and editions, and as Linux Mint comes preloaded with VirtualBox guest additions it is just more sensible for me to use VirtualBox. Also, it just works :wink: VMware may be better or not (I have no opinion on that), but it would require more work on my end. Pass.

If you do go for VirtualBox, remember to add yourself to the vboxusers group after installing it. You can do so easily with this command:

Code: Select all

sudo usermod -aG vboxusers $(id -un)
malligt
Level 4
Level 4

Post by malligt »

Many thanks. I have been using the Oracle VM Virtual Box all along, but wanted to know if there might be a better way to VM.
Thanks again for your help.
SilverNexus

Post by SilverNexus »

At minimum, the 32-bit version of VMWare Player requires 64-bit extensions to install (at least, that's what it told me when I tried). This shouldn't be a problem for people running 64-bit (practically everybody but myself and very few others), but I thought I'd point it out. So, VMWare is essentially out of the picture for 32-bit users. Otherwise, nothing really changes for 64-bit users because of that.
meteorrock

Post by meteorrock »

I am using VMware player at the moment.

I tried the Oracle virutal box, Using Windows 7 as my host OS, I found it was lacking proper audio support for some audio drivers. My workstation and parts are only a month old. I could never get audio to work on it on Linux Mint 14.1 as my "guest" OS. Pulse Audio is one "audio" module that comes with Oracles virtual box, and there is a kernel bug in it stopping audio. Source for that information is at this link here. You can notice the author of the pulse audio module that comes with Oracle virtual box having him a cute little heart to heart with the linux maintainer, Linus Torvalds. LOL> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/01/04 ... _bug_rage/

So I went with Vmware player. Let me give you some codes you will need for that after installing it for the tools you will need for it, called VMware tools, if it does not install during your install process. I had problems with VMware not getting the tools on its own. Make sure you do not use the auto install for VMware upon installing linux mint, it will hang on trying to get the tools for that program during install. Use the custom options on that software to write your ISO to the virtual drive you will set up after installing the VMware app.

sudo apt-get install open-vm-tools
You will need these other tools if you are looking into building modules on your linux mint OS.

sudo apt-get install open-vm-dkms

sudo apt-get install open-vm-toolbox

horirevens

Post by horirevens »

Hi guys, can you help me about this error.

i have a custom-dist.iso from remastering linux mint 13 maya. but when i use it to virtualbox, i get an error. first, when loading in VB there are any some text but i don't know what is that. second, when i want to login i have error "unable to load 'ubuntu session'". can you tell me what happen with this?

maybe i have error when make custom-dist.iso in remastersys or maybe my settings in virtualbox?

Return to “Open Chat”