Muffin lag + DE "unknown"

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
passerby

Muffin lag + DE "unknown"

Post by passerby »

I've been having problems with Cinnamon from the beginning, and while I've decided to bear with it for the most part, these two issues are tempting me back to MATE.

First is the Muffin problem. Basically my desktop "lags" whenever I move a window. eg. If I move a nemo window, the window follows after my mouse a second later. It isn't just nemo though; this happens with any and all windows unless the window manager crashes, in which case there's no issue (apart from rendering the DE and many applications unusable).
This happens in both Cinnamon 2D and 3D. It also happens regardless of the Nvidia or Xorg driver I use.

The second issue is with Cinnamon not being recognized by applications. For example, Ubuntu Tweak recognizes the distribution as nadia, but the DE as: "Unknown (cinnamon)". System Information (hardinfo) lists the Desktop Environment as "Unknown (Window Manager: Mutter (Muffin))".
This only really concerns me because of a problem I'm now having with android-notifier-desktop. It complains that Java, android-notifier-desktop and my OS must be of the same architecture, and (presumably) because it can't identify Cinnamon correctly, it believes that they are not. I would think of it as a problem with android-notifier-desktop, but the error only occurs on Cinnamon; the application works beautifully on MATE, XFCE, etc.

Neither issue is present on MATE, Gnome Shell, KDE, XFCE or any of the other DE's I've tried.
I'm currently on: Nadia x64, Cinnamon 1.6.7, Muffin 1.1.2, Kernel 3.7 (also tested 3.5.0 and 3.6.x)
Graphics card: Nvidia Geforce GT 610
CPU: Intel i7 3770K

I've tried using both proprietary and open source Nvidia/Nouveau drivers, but the first issue doesn't seem to be with my graphics card.
I've also tried purging Cinnamon, Nemo, Muffin, etc. and installing them again, but the issues persist.
For reference, I do have mint-meta-cinnamon and mint-info-cinnamon installed.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
passerby

Re: Muffin lag + DE "unknown"

Post by passerby »

I wouldn't say the problem is solved exactly, since I just avoided the issues altogether, but...

I've moved over to LMDE, and everything works beautifully.
android-notifier-desktop is working again without issue.
Cinnamon is running on lower resources and without any lag whatsoever.
Nvidia is still giving me grief, but I can live with that.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

passerby wrote:Nvidia is still giving me grief, but I can live with that.
passerby wrote:Graphics card: Nvidia Geforce GT 610
CPU: Intel i7 3770K
this is a nvidia optimus card.
the only option that i know for that setup is http://suwako.nomanga.net/ (bumblebee)
passerby

Post by passerby »

Isn't Optimus only for laptops though?
I attempted to install bumblebee regardless and wound up with "[ERROR]No Optimus system detected, quitting." upon trying to use it.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

the classic optimus configuration is provided by nvidia for laptops but your system has 2 graphic cards:
- the nvidia
- and the intel hd 4000 from the i7
so it "should" act as an optimus system

what is the output of

Code: Select all

inxi -Gx
passerby

Post by passerby »

Code: Select all

Graphics:  Card NVIDIA GeForce GT 620 X.Org 1.12.4 Res: 1920x1080@120.0hz, 1920x1080@60.0hz 
           GLX Renderer GeForce GT 620/PCIe/SSE2 GLX Version 4.2.0 NVIDIA 304.48 Direct Rendering Yes
(yeah, I located and swapped to a GT620 the other day, though there's no real difference)
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

i don't see anything wrong in that inxi (actually i'm surprised that 1) the hd4000 is not listed there and 2) the nvidia is listed and recognised as the correct glx renderer >> in the end of the day this is not bad quite the opposite, less headaches for you)

what i see (and probably the issues come from there) is that you are using 2 monitors: dual monitor support is still an ongoing development within cinnamon.
inking about it you never described exactly the problems you were having with nvidia but what if you try unplugging one of the monitors just as a test to see if you can replicate the issue.
passerby

Post by passerby »

I figured it would be more proper to create another topic specifically for the nvidia issues, so I didn't want to go too off-topic here.
The main issue I have with nvidia is its inability to properly recognize each screen.
eg. When I'm testing programs I make in java, the supported display modes are nonsense (negative bitdepth, 0 refresh rate).
A screen is recognized properly when I unplug the other, but not if I disable it in the nvidia config.

I think that issue is with the 120hz monitor moreso than nvidia though.
I also see the 120hz monitor go black briefly when using certain commands. eg. when I ran inxi -Gx a moment ago or when I try to use crossover.
This doesn't happen with the other monitor, so I'm starting to lay blame on the monitor rather than nvidia.

Edit: After changing to LMDE, my DE is still listed as Unknown.

Return to “LMDE Archive”