Choppy, missing pixels and lines on fonts and graphics.

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Cornova

Choppy, missing pixels and lines on fonts and graphics.

Post by Cornova »

Summary: There is some strange issue with how fonts and sometimes graphics are rendered in that they leave strange lines or having missing pixels.

Processor: Intel® Pentium(R) Dual CPU E2180 @ 2.00GHz x 2
Graphics: Intel® 945G x86/MMX/SSE2
Driver: i915
32-bit

Background: Around the first of September I read that the newer Ubuntu distributions had full disk encryption. I was using Ubuntu 10.04 (Gnome) and decided to back up my files, wipe the drive and install the newest version. The new interface was completely foreign to me and was impossible to navigate with any productivity so after several hours I wiped again and installed Ubuntu KDE.

The interface was much better but I noticed a strange font problem that no solution was found for in either the Ubuntu or Kubuntu forums. I had heard of Mint and decided to burn an install disk and preview it. To my surprise the font issue was also a problem on Mint, but I liked the interface so much that I backed up again and installed it and have been using it now for a week or so. Mint runs much faster than Kubuntu so I plan to stick with it, hopefully full disk encryption is adopted soon, that would make it perfect.

Things I have tried (some on Kubuntu): changing fonts, changing resolution, installing ttf-mscorefonts

I noticed when taking a screenshot that the issue vanished on the firefox window I had open, it seems so because screenshots refresh the screen, so perhaps that might give a hint to the problem. I see no option anywhere on Mint to alter the refresh rate but I did on Kubuntu and nothing changed. Putting “Hinting” at full seemed to help a bit but not solve it. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Note that this was not a problem when I was using Ubuntu 10.04 so perhaps something has changed since then with the Linux kernel that would have issues with my graphics?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Trapper
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Choppy, missing pixels and lines on fonts and graphics.

Post by Trapper »

I am running Mint 13 Maya with the MATE desktop and I have successfully created a full disk encryption environment following the instructions of a little tutorial for FDE I found in the linux mint community area.

I paid particular attention to the comments section, especially the comments over the past couple of weeks. Some by user Ledduk and another user concerning using FDE with Maya and their success in using it.

It may be worth your while to experiment if you have an extra drive available to do that. Just pay attention to the instructions closely and follow them correctly. It really not all that difficult to do.

Here's the link:

http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/344

Cornova

Post by Cornova »

Trapper wrote:I am running Mint 13 Maya with the MATE desktop and I have successfully created a full disk encryption environment following the instructions of a little tutorial for FDE I found in the linux mint community area.

I paid particular attention to the comments section, especially the comments over the past couple of weeks. Some by user Ledduk and another user concerning using FDE with Maya and their success in using it.

It may be worth your while to experiment if you have an extra drive available to do that. Just pay attention to the instructions closely and follow them correctly. It really not all that difficult to do.

Here's the link:

http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/344

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll definately check it out.
Trapper
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Trapper »

I am at a loss when it comes to helping you with the fonts display difficulties you are having. Sorry.

I've been using FDE with Maya for a couple of days now without any difficulty. I'd prefer having some way to set FDE up like it's done in Ubuntu with the alternate CD and have disk space outside of the Maya install but still under the encryption. The script I pointed you to and I used to accomplish FDE in Maya simply uses the entire disk for Maya. I find that undesirable and a waste with large disks.
Cornova

Post by Cornova »

Trapper wrote:I am at a loss when it comes to helping you with the fonts display difficulties you are having. Sorry.

I've been using FDE with Maya for a couple of days now without any difficulty. I'd prefer having some way to set FDE up like it's done in Ubuntu with the alternate CD and have disk space outside of the Maya install but still under the encryption. The script I pointed you to and I used to accomplish FDE in Maya simply uses the entire disk for Maya. I find that undesirable and a waste with large disks.
That's OK, maybe someone will come along with a solution. As for encryption, I know the idea is submitted for inclusion in the next version. I have a link buried somewhere with the thread proposal somewhere. I'll post it if I can find it and you can voice your thoughts on it. Ubuntu really dropped the ball with their interface shenanigans, it wouldn't surprise me if Mint continues to grow vastly in popularity. FDE via alternative disk or simply an option in standard would certainly help IMO.
crommr

Post by crommr »

RE: missing lines in fonts.
I have a Thinpad T60 with Intel 945GM and have many missing lines in fonts.
Have you tried the solution described at:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... bug/782855?
I have tried it just now and am testing it.
Hope it works for you.
Cornova

Post by Cornova »

crommr wrote:RE: missing lines in fonts.
I have a Thinpad T60 with Intel 945GM and have many missing lines in fonts.
Have you tried the solution described at:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... bug/782855?
I have tried it just now and am testing it.
Hope it works for you.
Thank you, this has solved a very irritating problem that has plagued Mind, Lubuntu, Ubuntu and Kubuntu for me.

For those who may have the same problem, the solution is to create a file named xorg.conf, paste the following into it and save to desktop or wherever:

Code: Select all

Section "Device"
 Identifier "Intel"
 Driver "intel"
 Option "DebugWait" "True"
EndSection
Once saved, move xorg.config to /etc/X11

If you don't have permission to move it, open the terminal and paste the following:

Code: Select all

sudo chmod 777 /etc/X11
Enter password, close the terminal, shutdown/restart the computer.

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”