How do I install Steam on LMDE 64bit?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
lecterror

How do I install Steam on LMDE 64bit?

Post by lecterror »

Hi everyone!

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post so I apologise if it isn't.

I got access to Steam for Linux beta, but I'm brand new to LMDE and rolling distros in general. I have no idea what am I "allowed" to install and how. It seems like the current official version of Steam targets only Ubuntu based distros, so I'm a bit lost with LMDE. Is there a way to make a clean install of Steam on LMDE?

The best I could do with googling is this, but I'm still not sure how to proceed... Is there a definitive guide on how to do it? Has anyone here managed to install Steam on LMDE 64bit?

Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
zerozero

Re: How do I install Steam on LMDE 64bit?

Post by zerozero »

hi,
although i did not try this, the link you posted above says
- sid amd64 - works
- wheezy amd64 - works
- squeeze - probably won't (lack of libgdk-pixbuf)
if that is true for wheezy (the present testing) it should be also true for lmde.

try it and give us some feedback :mrgreen:

EDIT i just saw in detail the specs of that hack and it's scary, it requires you to replace core lib with the correspondent ubuntu version (even if it may work in the short run i believe that the system would be too unstable and broken)
lecterror

Post by lecterror »

Well, now I feel good about posting this :)

So what do we do, just wait until something (semi-)official happens? I'm not even sure I'll survive UP6 :oops:, so I'd rather not experiment with this just yet..maybe in a VM, but that would be useless for steaming anyway.. :-|
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

lecterror wrote:I'm not even sure I'll survive UP6 :oops:
:lol: i wouldn't worry too much about up6 (it's not a disruptive update and should go fine, unless you have messed up really bad your install before :mrgreen: )

yep, VB won't cut it for this; how big is your hdd? can you spare 10-15gb for an experimental partition? helps a lot to relieve the stress :lol: if you have such a partition (where you can test all the crazy stuff, mess around without fear to break your real/all day use system)
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

and in the meantime i found this in G+ https://github.com/ValveSoftware/steam- ... t-11562625
lecterror

Post by lecterror »

Hey zerozero!

Sorry about the late reply, I was under the impression I'll get an email if someone responds..(I guess I'll have to check my settings!)

Unfortunately, I don't have an experimental partition. Like I mentioned, I usually just try out stuff in VirtualBox, I find it much safer and less rebootingly. :)

I also use my laptop as a staging area of a sort, and this is where I have LMDE now. My main PC is still on Ubuntu 10.10, and LMDE is now in "staging area". If everything goes well, it might end up on my main PC, but to be honest I'm still not 100% convinced. It looks nice, but I want to be really sure before commiting. Right now, Cinnamon has a habit of crashing now and then, and I think some Wine apps are acting a bit weird on a 64bit system (with multiarch). I'm starting to doubt my choice of 64bits.. Seems like a lot of extra work at the moment.

It also doesn't help that I'm still a noob after years of messing around with Linux! :)
zerozero wrote:and in the meantime i found this in G+ https://github.com/ValveSoftware/steam- ... t-11562625
So, should we just "vote" for this? I do have a github account, but I'm not sure Valve is listening :)
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

lecterror wrote:I'm starting to doubt my choice of 64bits..
if you do a lot of wine i'm starting to feel the same: 64bit+multiarch+32bit app (specially openGL dependent) is too much trouble; 32bit system (with pae) makes life a lot easier.
lecterror wrote:but I'm not sure Valve is listening
you see that the issue has now already a lot more heat than yesterday. conformism is defeat :shock:
lecterror

Post by lecterror »

zerozero wrote:if you do a lot of wine i'm starting to feel the same: 64bit+multiarch+32bit app (specially openGL dependent) is too much trouble; 32bit system (with pae) makes life a lot easier.
That kind of sucks, doesn't it? :(
zerozero wrote:you see that the issue has now already a lot more heat than yesterday. conformism is defeat :shock:
Heh, I left a comment there. I guess now we play the waiting game... :|

Return to “LMDE Archive”