Xfce notification messages

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
RJim

Xfce notification messages

Post by RJim »

Been looking on this forum and on various search engines for this answer, haven't had much success.

Problem is using xfce-notifyd that any notifications are covered by a fullscreen window... whether that be a video or a game, and the notification is unseen. This does not happen in KDE.

The side-effect of this is that the volume control, screen brightness or any power status/network messages and anything else is never seen if a fullscreen window is up.

I can find no way to change or fix this behavior. Could really use some help on this.

--Jim
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
RJim

Re: Xfce notification messages

Post by RJim »

Well, I guess nobody else has found a solution either, because I came up with absolute zilch about this.

So let me ask this instead... Can I use a different notification daemon with Xfce? One that hopefully will show above fullscreen windows?

--Jim
dagon
Level 7
Level 7

Post by dagon »

Looks like the issue is known (I'm not on Xfce...)
Here is a bug report on the Xfce projects bug tracker:
https://bugzilla.xfce.org/show_bug.cgi?id=7928
RJim

Post by RJim »

dagon, I do appreciate your posting that link as I did not come across it before. It is a bit disheartening to see that the bug is over a year old and has not had any activity in the past nine months.

I'll keep looking for solutions as it seems that bug has gone into a void. In the meanwhile if anyone has any other ideas, please share.

--Jim
RJim

Post by RJim »

Okay, I thought I was making some progress but it seems I dodged one obstacle for another one. :lol:
Here's what I did:

After reading some blog posts, I uninstalled xfce-notifyd using synaptic. Then I installed notify-osd and re-installed notification-daemon.
I then rebooted my machine. Now the notifications show up in a fulscreen window!

But there's a new issue... It seems that notify-osd has a nasty habit of caching repeated notifications. For example: If I change the volume a few times, or receive a few e-mails, it will stop showing the notifications on my screen and just put a little icon next to my clock instead. This totally defeats the purpose of the notifications! I am currently looking for a way to stop this behavior, but if anyone else knows a solution, please share.

UPDATE:
I removed notification-daemon, and the little icon is gone and all notifications are shown... but now the volume control is not visible in a fullscreen window but the display brightness control is. Not sure what to do or where to go from here, or why there is a difference between the two.

--Jim

Return to “Xfce”