Mint 14 - Sound skipping

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Terrapene

Mint 14 - Sound skipping

Post by Terrapene »

I can't get sound working properly with Mint 14 (Cinnamon 64-bit). I'm using an old AMD 780g motherboard (Foxconn A7GM-S 2.0) with integrated sound (Realtek ALC888GR). It works perfectly well with Windows 7 so the hardware isn't at fault. The device is detected and sound does work, but very poorly (crackles & skips). When I open the sound mixer (pulse or alsa) I can see the audio output rapidly cycling between "analog stereo output" and "headphones". None of the options in any of the mixer applications solves the problem.

Perhaps it's a problem with jack sensing? I will happily disable that feature for working sound if that's even possible. Any suggestions?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Mint 14 - Sound skipping

Post by caf4926 »

Are you new to Mint/Linux?
Or have you been using it and this is a new problem that didn't exist previously?

I was wondering if you had tried the Mate version?
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon
Terrapene

Post by Terrapene »

caf4926 wrote:Are you new to Mint/Linux?
Or have you been using it and this is a new problem that didn't exist previously?

I was wondering if you had tried the Mate version?
I haven't used Mint on this particular system since version 9 or 10, but it was working previously. I just finished testing Mint 14 Mate and LMDE and the problem persists in both cases.
Terrapene

Post by Terrapene »

Problem solved.

I added the following to the end of alsa-base.conf

Code: Select all

options snd-hda-intel model=generic
After rebooting I selected "hw:0,0" as the pcm output device (not "default", which still doesn't work for whatever reason).

This thread can be closed.
andy1m

Post by andy1m »

I have similar problem with Mint 14 Mate, with other old versions did not have such problem. It's a VIA onboard HDA audio.

Return to “Sound”