AMD 12.2 Driver Install problems

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rohangeorge

AMD 12.2 Driver Install problems

Post by rohangeorge »

I have a Dell Studio 1535 with an ATI Radeon graphics card. I installed Linux Mint on it a few days a go. Its my first Linux distro install. I run it as a media PC with my HDTV via HDMI. Straight off the install, and after I installed the ATI Drivers bundled with the Linux Mint package, I had the following problems:
1. All fonts, icons and hanging subtitle boxes (when you hover your cursor over an icon) have display glitches and errors
2. HDMI video is available but sound is not.

After surfing a number of forums I came to the conclusion that my problem lies with the ATI Driver. I did a full uninstall of the driver and the Catalyst Control Center using the Synaptics Package Manager and rebooted. (BTW, Now that there is no ATI driver, all icons, fonts and subtitle boxes are displaying correctly but still no HDMI sound out.) However, when I try to install amd-driver-installer-12-1-x86.x86_64.run only a blank window with the ATI logo opens up. Only the radio boxes to check options come up. Nothing is written on them and there is no clue as to what they are for. I'm trying to take a screenshot but I'm not able to. Could you please tell me how I can at least get the driver installation going?
ibe63

Re: AMD 12.2 Driver Install problems

Post by ibe63 »

First you have to uninstall ati installation that you have done before.
And then follow next guide carefully.uninstallation guide link is included in it.
Linux mint 12 is based to ubuntu oneiric.

http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubuntu ... he_Options
latinomanz

Post by latinomanz »

I used to have a lot of problems with my ATI proprietary drivers, this is what I did to fix it:

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=97315
rohangeorge

Post by rohangeorge »

latinomanz wrote:I used to have a lot of problems with my ATI proprietary drivers, this is what I did to fix it:

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=97315

Tried this, except I reverted to Linux Mint 11 and did the same thing. Made no difference. Its the wizard that's the problem. Absolutely no text, radio boxes distorted, only ATI symbol showing. Am going to try ibe63's idea now.
chazdg24

Post by chazdg24 »

This is what I do (did) and it works every time:

sudo apt-get remove --purge fglrx*

sudo apt-get remove --purge xserver-xorg-video-ati xserver-xorg-video-radeon

sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg-video-ati

sudo apt-get install --reinstall libgl1-mesa-glx libgl1-mesa-dri xserver-xorg-core

sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

Restart your Computer

cd ~/; mkdir catalyst12.2; cd catalyst12.2/

wget -O amd-driver-installer-12-2-x86.x86_64.run http://goo.gl/zewU2

chmod +x amd-driver-installer-12-2-x86.x86_64.run

sh ./amd-driver-installer-12-2-x86.x86_64.run

sudo aticonfig --initial -f

reboot
Last edited by chazdg24 on Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
rohangeorge

Post by rohangeorge »

ibe63 wrote:First you have to uninstall ati installation that you have done before.
And then follow next guide carefully.uninstallation guide link is included in it.
Linux mint 12 is based to ubuntu oneiric.

http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubuntu ... he_Options
Hey, thanks. This worked (kind of). I tried the manual install of ati drivers as per the link, except that I did it with LinuxMint 11 instead of 12. I just substituted the phrase

sudo sh ./amd-driver-installer-12-2-x86.x86_64.run --buildpkg Ubuntu/natty

instead of

sudo sh ./amd-driver-installer-12-2-x86.x86_64.run --buildpkg Ubuntu/oneiric

since Katya is based on Ubuntu Natty.

Everything worked out! I now have no problems with HDMI sound output, and all fonts and boxes display correctly. I may have had to rollbackt to an earlier version of Linux Mint, but thats not a problem as my media pc now works perfectly.
skydiverQ

Post by skydiverQ »

Just wanted to add this for the search engines, the above solution posted by chazdg24 worked perfectly for me to solve video display issues with a Compaq CQ56 running a new installation of Mint 12

-sky

+1 chazdg24!

linux mint 12 compaq HP presario CQ56 video display driver ati radeon amd catalyst diagonal fonts menus restricted
ibe63

Post by ibe63 »

Rohangeorge. Nice that you managed with driver installing. For hdmi sound fix you must be sure that you have proper HDMI cable, and output settings (under right click of panel sound icon) is set to HDMI. You can google about cables to get info. VGA cable doesn't support hdmi sound, neither poor quality hdmi cables i believe.
ps.Check that your HDTV sound is not muted !!!
rohangeorge

Post by rohangeorge »

ibe63 wrote:Rohangeorge. Nice that you managed with driver installing. For hdmi sound fix you must be sure that you have proper HDMI cable, and output settings (under right click of panel sound icon) is set to HDMI. You can google about cables to get info. VGA cable doesn't support hdmi sound, neither poor quality hdmi cables i believe.
ps.Check that your HDTV sound is not muted !!!
No problem ibe63, HDMI sound already worked fine after your earlier advice. Thanks for the help.
latinomanz

Post by latinomanz »

Hello,

My Mint is running perfectly, not a single crash or image issue. I read the solution one of you posted here and I can see that he uninsulated completed the FLGX and the X.org drivers. So he had the same problem as me. I think the problem is that the proprietary drivers and the free drivers are both installed at the same time, the free driver is not removed automatically when you install the proprietary ones, therefore Mint doesnt know which one to use and crashes.

So try uninstalling both drivers completely and installing one of them again.
Joderi

Post by Joderi »

chazdg24 wrote:This is what I do (did) and it works every time:

sudo apt-get install --reinstall libgl1-mesa-glx libgl1-mesa-dri xserver-xorg-core

Restart your Computer

reboot
Followed this exactly and upon reboot...loading hangs at this message....

mountall: Plymouth command failed
mountall: Disconnected from Plymouth

I have a HP Pavilion dv7-4285dx
Video Graphics ATI Mobility Radeon HD 6370 s

I have tried downloading drivers straight from HP and following their instructions. I also tried another persons version that went through synaptic to uninstall, download drivers, and checked allowed to run as executable. All graphics mode instead of terminal. Got the same results and same error. I did run across someone that said this was a switchable graphics machine and that it had intel integrated graphics and the HD Radeon. They also said something about using switcheroo?

Any help with this would be most appreciated. Trying to get this done for someone else who wants to be able to take advantage of the 3d graphics and run World of Warcraft through Linux. The accidentally deleted their Windows 7 and have no install/restore discs/partitions. doh. So I am trying to get this working for them. Thanks.
latinomanz

Post by latinomanz »

Hello,

Try generating your specific distribution drivers and install, it will generate 3 *.deb files, install them on and see; you wont get the ATI catalyst control center but that might fix your problem and you will get the drivers specific for your distribution.

But first uninstall whatever drivers you might have first, including free and propritary drivers.

If that does not work, then try wipping out your system and installing the generated drivers (the 3 *.deb files generated just for your linux distribution) again you wont get the control center but the drivers will be as good as they get.

In order for me to work, I had to format my system first, so you might try it on another hard drive first or make a partition in case it does not work.
MYamanT

Post by MYamanT »

Restart your Computer

reboot
thanks ...
But, when I restart after followed your steps, and finished it :D
have encountered an error :( "failed to start the x server (your graphical interface)..."
What should I do to install driver if graphics card ? :roll: :roll:
My device is dell studio 1535 Ati graphics ...
Adler
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Adler »

Hi All,

I know this thread might be a little old, but any reponses might be helpful.

I have an H-P Pavilion Notebook (DV7-1451NR) running a dual-core AMD chip and the ATI RS780M/RS780MN [Mobility Radeon HD 3200 Graphics] card which is about 3 years old, but still runs great. I have installed Mint 14 after wiping my HDD Mint 12 install. I should mention that I am using the Cinnamon Desktop Manager in 32-bits. I have never up-dated my video driver with the proprietory AMD Driver, and would like to now do so.

I have made several attempts at installing the amd-driver-installer-12.6-legacy-x86.x86_64.zip file, but no succes. Basically, the Cinnamon Desktop Manager dissappears, and I get the GNOME Manager with poor resolution. I do undertand that I can generate a distro specific driver, but all attempts have failed using several commands in Terminal. Any suggestions here where I won't need to doanother install of Mint 14? LOL!

Years ago I did use something called ATUpgrade with success, but have not seen this mentioned in my Google, and Forum searches in recent posts.

Any help would be appreciated, and thanks in advance for any reponses.
Adler

Wildwood, New Jersey -- On The Jersey Shore
What Doesn't Kill Me, Makes Me Stronger - Friedrich Nietzsche - Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich starker
Adler's Home @ http://www.jjmacey.net/, And Where I Have Been.
Blog @ http://jjmacey.net/blog/
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

Unfortunately I think it unlikely that you'll find a solution. AMD has dropped support for the 2xxx, 3xxx, and 4xxx series graphics. While they have the "Legacy" driver, I've only heard of very limited success. If you are using Mint 13 or 14 you would be using a kernel and xorg version that are too new. I previously had a laptop with the ATI Radeon HD4200 graphics, and after Mint 13 could no longer install the proprietary driver.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
Adler
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Adler »

tdockery97,

Thanks for the response. Let's see if there are any more comments here.

BTW, I think that I used ATIUgrade while I was running openSuSE. Then quickly came back to Mint. LOL! It is my favorite distro of choice.
Adler

What Doesn't Kill Me, Makes Me Stronger - Friedrich Nietzsche - Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich starker
Adler
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Adler »

Hi All,

There is definately an issue with my present driver set-up. Streaming video freezes or seems to buffer forever.

I have opened Synaptic and noticed that none of the fglrx drivers are installed. Would it help if I checked them all. and installed them?
Adler

cheloo

Post by cheloo »

hu,
i have a alienware M17xR4 laptop. i just installed linux mint on it and i want to know if the video drivers are installed or not ! I have ATI. what are the commands to see if the drivers are installed and if are not installed can somebody help me to install them? thanks a lot.

cheloo
latinomanz

Post by latinomanz »

cheloo wrote:hu,
i have a alienware M17xR4 laptop. i just installed linux mint on it and i want to know if the video drivers are installed or not ! I have ATI. what are the commands to see if the drivers are installed and if are not installed can somebody help me to install them? thanks a lot.

cheloo
They are not install by default, only the generic open source ones are, you have to uninstall the generic ones and install them following the steps posted above.
genfri

Post by genfri »

After a apt-get update/upgrade of Mint 13 and a reboot, black screen problem appeared on my notebook.
I have an Asus K52JT with an ATI AMD Radeon HD6300M and I think that the problem could be caused by the updated fglrx drivers.
External monitors (VGA and HDMI) worked perfectly, but in the notebook monitor I could see splash screen and desktop, but very (very) dark.
The "radeon.modeset=1" and "nomodeset" instructions in the boot loader didn't work for me.

This procedure worked:

Restart your Computer
So here I could access and use the OS.
But trying to reinstall AMD drivers (I downloaded the 13.12 version), the problem returned...

reboot
In the end, I could rollback and currently I'm keeping only the X.org drivers libraries.
Thank you very much chazdg24.

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”