[Solved] Install dvd boots to desktop then freezes

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
inflatablemouse

[Solved] Install dvd boots to desktop then freezes

Post by inflatablemouse »

Hi Guys,

I've been meaning to install Mint on my desktop pc for a while but I'm stuck to Vmware on Windows because any version I try, freezes once it arrives to the Desktop. Numlock won't switch anymore and mouse is stuck with no activity on disks or dvd.

I've tried every version, 12, 13, 14, LDME, Xcfe, Cinn and Mate. They all do the exact same thing.

So I guess there's something about my configuration Mint doesn't like, but what?

Hardware list:
MSI P76A-GD80 latest BIOS/EUFI
Intel i7 2600K
16GB Corsair (4x4GB)
Samsung 830 SSD 256GB
2 1,5TB Hitachi HDD
Filco PS/2 Keyboard :P Yes, really :)
USB Mouse, Steelseries
Asus 580GTX GPU
Asus Xonar Essence ST Soundcard (added later, issue experienced before adding the card too).

So not sure what I should look for or try. I don't get the chance to look into any logs or anything. Maybe some boot switches I can try?

Thanks for the help.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Install dvd boots to desktop then freezes

Post by xenopeek »

During the 10 second count down during boot press a key. Then press the Tab key to edit the boot parameters, and on the line of text that appeared near the bottom append the word "nomodeset" (without the quotes). Then continue the boot and see if that will allow you to boot successfully.

If not, repeat the same action but in the boot menu first press the down arrow key to highlight the second entry in the menu (compatibility mode). Then in instead of adding nomodeset add "nomodeset acpi=off nolapic" (again, without the quotes).
inflatablemouse

Thanks Vincent, I'll give it a try later on.

Isn't the nomodeset required when you have graphical issues, because my desktop fully shows, icons and all with mouse cursor. It seems to work for a second too and then freezes.

Either way, Il'l give em a try, just asking.

Thanks again!
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

That's where the second set of suggestions comes in :wink:
inflatablemouse

I got it to install, but now it does the same thing in the installed version.

I went with LMDE btw, I guess I need to boot with those paramters and then edit grub.conf or something and add those parameters to make them permanent?
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Well, I'd narrow down which set of parameters you need as a minimum to get to boot. That may tell something about a permanent solution. I've moved your topic here to get input from other LMDE users on this.

You can hold down shift during booting to get GRUB to show, if not shown by default. Press the 'e' key to edit boot parameters. Then scroll down (use arrow keys) to the line that starts with "linux". On that line insert your boot parameters at the end. Try to find which boot parameters are the minimum needed to get to your desktop successfully; all these boot parameters also switch off useful stuff so you want to use as few as possible.
inflatablemouse

Nomodeset seems to do the trick.

I think i can expect this issue to dissapear then once i have the proper display drivers installed? I've got 2 displays attached to the gtx580.

Thx.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

If you only need nomodeset, then yes installing the graphics card drivers will very likely be the only step needed.
inflatablemouse

I should be ashamed, I totally forgot about this ... :(

I asked the question before and received an answer.
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 96#p584696

Sorry Vincent.

Ps. installed the drivers succesfully following the guide on the forums and I'm up and running.

Return to “LMDE Archive”