Change Login Password

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
borgward
Level 6
Level 6

Change Login Password

Post by borgward »

I just installed LinuxMint 14.1 and logged in. How do I change my password?
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Change Login Password

Post by xenopeek »

You can do so from User Accounts.
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

Hmmm I just tried that today myself. And curious if there is an issue with it?
Or some kind of limitation on password structure?

Change to something easy keyboard entry in the dark.
2 letter over and over for total of 6 characters example: vcvcvc

Then just hanged there doing nothing after 3 mins. closed the change password gui.
longbowz

Post by longbowz »

You may want to try it in Terminal :)
http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/851
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

Nope followed the Pic.
passwd.png
Everything happened just as it showed.
used 2 character 6 letter password like zxzxzx
Updated fine.

But my Ormiser account is still old password and that new that was accepted doesn't work.
Unix root password? vs, User Admin account different? got that apple & oranges feeling :?
Or failing some password creation rules I'm not aware of? As wouldn't let me do less than 6 characters.
And doesn't allow a 1 character 6 letters password.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Don't use sudo to change your password from the command line. Just type "passwd" and follow the prompts. With sudo, you would be changing the root password.
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

Thanks for the info. But looks like Unix has built in limitations excluding simple passwords.
For 2 char. 6 letter password get Bad: new password is too simple

So give up. Was wanting an easier simplified password as my keyboard sits up chest high and to the right for space saving.
And have problematic arthritis in my finger joints. Most of the time sitting in low or near dark room on the computer.

So makes a harder time for me to type out my usual password.
After having to type it in by the sixth time in 3 hrs kind of thing.
Mostly a Mouse clicking or cut & paste kind of guy as the keyboard wears out my hands after awhile.
borgward
Level 6
Level 6

Post by borgward »

xenopeek wrote:Don't use sudo to change your password from the command line. Just type "passwd" and follow the prompts. With sudo, you would be changing the root password.
Need to change the root password
borgward
Level 6
Level 6

Post by borgward »

Let me pose the question again.

I installed LinuxMint 14.1. I typed in password xxxxxx or whatever, during installation. That password is what I use to login at startup. Sudo asks for that if I sudo something.

I realized that password is not good, even by my standards. I want to change that password. Thats the password I use to login at start up or sudo something.

How do I change that password?

I am beginning to think it would just be easier to reinstall and use the desired password.
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

Did you try in going into Administration>User's Accounts? Like mentioned above under your post?
Screenshot.jpeg
1) Click on un-lock upper right
2) Click on Password string and another dialog will popup to change it.
3) Seclect Auto-Login to On if you want auo-logon
4) Click Lock upper right
Done.

Work for you?
OoDeLally
Level 1
Level 1

Post by OoDeLally »

xenopeek wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:30 am Don't use sudo to change your password from the command line. Just type "passwd" and follow the prompts. With sudo, you would be changing the root password.
this. That was my mistake.

Return to “Beginner Questions”