Update pack 6 chat/questions/support thread

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
chemicalfan

Update pack 6 chat/questions/support thread

Post by chemicalfan »

As per Clem's request in the feedback thread (that general chat & questions shouldn't be posted there), here is a thread for the chat & questions relating to update pack 6!

I'll kick it off - the new "incoming" parameter on the packages repo source line, is there a way of automating this so people won't break their system by doing an "apt-get upgrade"? Like the mirrors package, but one that updates the sources if the user is using the debian.linuxmint.com incoming repos. I can mentally sketch out a Python script that could do it (it's surely possible with Bash too), but I don't know enough about apt & the like to know how you'd have it run first automatically, before ploughing on with the update
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ketoth

Re: Update pack 6 chat/questions/support thread

Post by ketoth »

I think somebody switching to incoming will have the knowledge from the forums that he's got to add "incoming" to get the Minty-packages too ;) If not it will break quickly enough so the user will stumble upon the thread and know what's missing.
Mint-update could also warn if the parameter is missing in case of "incoming". Anyway I don't think it's a big issue, I worry more about the "latest" users who don't read the "update pack information" before upgrading.
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

An user upgrading using incoming know that we shouldn't use apt upgrade to upgrade the system...
ddurdle
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ddurdle »

I upgraded today. Is Wine not working what-so-ever in incoming? It uninstalled it. I installed wine64-bin, but when I run, it asks me to install wine-bin:i386 but I get:

wine-bin:i386 : Depends: libwine-bin:i386 (= 1.4.1-4) but it is not going to be installed
. If I follow the dependency chain, I get to that it wants to install libxrandr2:i386 that then wants to uninstall half my system:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
libwine:i386 : Depends: libxrandr2:i386 but it is not going to be installed
Recommends: ttf-liberation:i386 but it is not installable
ringo32

Post by ringo32 »

and if you install ia32?
ddurdle
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ddurdle »

I thought one of the "big things" for the latest incoming was the move to multiarctl? Steps to upgrade advised to remove ia32*. This is ultimately the step that caused wine and many of my 32bit applications to be removed.

Wine was fine up until then, but I followed the steps to "reinstall" it with multiarctl, which was to install wine64-bin and then wine-bin:i386.

Am I going down the wrong path?
ddurdle
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ddurdle »

I found a second piece of 32bit software that requires libxrandr2. I have libxrandr2 installed, but when I try to install libxrandr2:i386, it wants to uninstall nearly everything including libreoffice, caja, mate, etc
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

ddurdle, do you have multiarch enabled?
what's the output of these 2 commands

Code: Select all

dpkg --print-architecture

dpkg --print-foreign-architectures
grraf

Post by grraf »

UP6 up and runing on my xfce lmde 64 all is ok excepting wine as usual.......(from running the 2 comand u sugested it seems my arch is amd64 and i have succesfuly enabled foreign arch i386 as instructed in the update manager... also did some digging under synaptic and i have no broken packs; installed libgl1-fglrx-glx:i386 as it was listed under missing recomanded packs , otherwise my system hasn't been altered in any way after up6 succesfully installed itself)
Here is what wine tells me:(supose its worth mentioning i got wine working fine in up5)
err:wgl:has_opengl Failed to load libGL: libGL.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
err:wgl:has_opengl OpenGL support is disabled.
err:d3d_caps:WineD3D_CreateFakeGLContext Can't find a suitable iPixelFormat.
err:d3d:InitAdapters Failed to get a gl context for default adapter
Direct3D8 is not available without OpenGL.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

grraf,
i don't do wine :lol: so i'm not very comfortable with its errors but this here looks like you are missing the 32bit GL libraries (this is one of the joys of multiarch :evil: )
this is an old topic but points in the same direction http://forum.winehq.org/viewtopic.php?t=10002
ddurdle
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ddurdle »

zerozero wrote:ddurdle, do you have multiarch enabled?
what's the output of these 2 commands

dpkg --print-architecture

dpkg --print-foreign-architectures
Yes, I have it enabled. First one shows amd64 and the second shows i386.

I dug deeper into this on the weekend. There were two libxrander2 showing up in synaptic. The installed on "now" 2.4 and one available as "testing" for 2.3.3. When I forced it to use 2.3.3, then wine-bin would install fine.

I got most of my 32bit applications working again which really only consists of ibm software (since it appears none of the ibm software comes in 64bit flavours). The only issue I have is agnclient gui shows up corrupt (missing all buttons), seems one of the 32bit gtks not working, but I usually only use the command line version of the app so its not an issue.

Why did 2.4 get installed instead of 2.3.3?

I'm going to be converting another 64bit machine over today.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

can you give us the output of

apt policy libxrandr2
there's something going on there (i guess that at some point you were playing with experimental :lol: )
http://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=libxrandr2
chemicalfan

Post by chemicalfan »

Did anyone else find that the repos were offline last night?

After trying several times of them timing out (it would do the first 40 or so, then fail), I managed to get an updated package list, that showed mintupdate (to 4.4.7) as the only update. After several more attempts, I managed to get it installed, hoping it would make a difference to the repo issues I was having, but it didn't, so I gave up. Not surprising that it didn't make a difference, as apt was reporting the same errors :lol:
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

chemicalfan,
if that is a lmde installation that is the wrong mintupdate :shock: and only got installed because you forced the update while the servers were down.
mintupdate-debian 1.0.6 is the one that should be installed there (if that is lmde ofc)
chemicalfan

Post by chemicalfan »

zerozero wrote:chemicalfan,
if that is a lmde installation that is the wrong mintupdate :shock: and only got installed because you forced the update while the servers were down.
mintupdate-debian 1.0.6 is the one that should be installed there (if that is lmde ofc)
:shock:

This is LMDE for sure. I didn't "force the update", just kept hitting refresh until the package list refreshed successfully (without error). Took maybe a dozen times over the course of a couple of hours. Actually, come to think about it, the system did it by itself eventually, as the tray icon changed (that's how I spotted the update). Had to hit the install button a few times to get it to complete without timing out though.

Bit worried now, I know I've got the mintupdate-debian package installed, as I remember it from UP5. I guess the original mintupdate never got removed? Or is it a dependency of mintupdate-debian?
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

nahh, mintupdate is not a dependency of mintupdate-debian (actually they conflict)

zerozero@deb-kde ~/Documents $ apt depends mintupdate-debian
mintupdate-debian
  Depends: python
  Depends: python
  Depends: python-gtk2
  Depends: python-glade2
  Depends: synaptic
  Depends: mint-common
  Depends: mint-debian-mirrors
  Conflicts: mintupdate
  Conflicts: <mintupdate:i386>
  Conflicts: <mintupdate-gnome>
  Conflicts: <mintupdate-gnome:i386>
  Conflicts: <mintupdate-kde>
  Conflicts: <mintupdate-kde:i386>
  Conflicts: <mintupdate-xfce>
  Conflicts: <mintupdate-xfce:i386>
  Replaces: mintupdate
  Replaces: <mintupdate:i386>
  Replaces: <mintupdate-gnome>
  Replaces: <mintupdate-gnome:i386>
  Replaces: <mintupdate-kde>
  Replaces: <mintupdate-kde:i386>
  Replaces: <mintupdate-xfce>
  Replaces: <mintupdate-xfce:i386>
zerozero@deb-kde ~/Documents $ 
but don't worry to much, just open synaptic, search MU-debian and install it. that should sort things out.
chemicalfan

Post by chemicalfan »

zerozero wrote:nahh, mintupdate is not a dependency of mintupdate-debian (actually they conflict)
but don't worry to much, just open synaptic, search MU-debian and install it. that should sort things out.
Thanks bud, I'll do that tonight :)

Hopefully the repos are back online again (fingers crossed!)
I could use a mirror, I guess?
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

as of now i could update cleanly
chemicalfan

Post by chemicalfan »

Legend, what would we do without you? :D
zerozero

Post by zerozero »