can not copy files from smb share

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
greeniekin

can not copy files from smb share

Post by greeniekin »

I am using linuxmint 14.1 mate

I have shared the folder on my windows pc.
i can connect in the browser by putting smb://192.168.56.1/share/ and my username and password when prompted and browse around.
I can even click on text files and view them.

I tried to use the cmake gui to use that share as the source and build to local hd(i've done this on mac) yet it said can not find the cmakelists.txt
So i said fine and then just tried to copy everything on to my hard drive and do it that way.

When i paste the files i get the file operations window which does nothing does not move. If I try again they operations stack up. If i cancel these operations they remain even when I close the window.

This is all weird and I do not get why i can browse and open text files but can not even copy.

If no one has any ideas for a fix. so that it works the normal way.

Would anyone know where the browser mounts the shared directory. I remember having some issues like this with ubuntu and I just opened the share with nautalus and then used the mounted position. I can not remember where though and it was a real pain to find out where.

I know there is probably a way to manually mount through the console. But I find that a pain.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Re: can not copy files from smb share

Post by altair4 »

Would anyone know where the browser mounts the shared directory. I remember having some issues like this with ubuntu and I just opened the share with nautalus and then used the mounted position. I can not remember where though and it was a real pain to find out where.
Even if you had remembered where it was mounted ( /home/username/.gvfs ) it wouldn't have done you any good since they moved it to confuse everyone. It's now at: /run/user/username/gvfs
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
greeniekin

Post by greeniekin »

I managed to find that location and I could browse the shared files. I still can not copy a sub directory.

Shared files seems to always create headaches with linux distros. I would have hoped it would have been streamlined by now ><.

Anyone have any more ideas?
nbdooy

Post by nbdooy »

hi all,

I am using linux mint 15 mate.

Encountered caja not responding when file/folder copy from network samba share.

The caja file operations not responding, sometimes stuck initially, sometimes stuck at first file or first few files. (and sometimes, with file copied at 0 byte)

Press cancel button, and it still remain there until logoff/reboot/shutdown.

No error show in /var/log/syslog

Currently use krusader as alternative to copy folder from network samba share.

Hope that help.

Return to “Networking”