change /home to mount point failed

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

change /home to mount point failed

Postby inflatablemouse on Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:45 pm

Hey guys,

I found a lot of posts about changing mount points and I thought it was simple, but it failed.

Right now everything is on one partition. I want to change /home to /dev/sdd1.

So, I mounted /dev/sdd1 /mnt/extra and copied the contents of /home to it.

I tested from a terminal by sudo mount -t ext2 /dev/sdd1 /home

Seemed to work so I edited fstab and added the line

/dev/sdd1 /home ext2 defaults 0 2

However, when I tried to login it said my home didn't exist if I wanted to mount to / instead. Of course not :). I switched to another tty and logged in as root. /home was not mounted and when I mounted it manually I could login again.

What did I do wrong? I looked around in /var/log, looked at boot (empty) dmesg .. which file should log errors about this issue?

Thanks!
inflatablemouse
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: change /home to mount point failed

Postby kc1di on Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:55 pm

Hello inflatablemouse,

What your trying to do is have a separate /home partition but you have not made a new partition as i see it.
you will have to make a partition on sdd1 with a mount point of /home. it would need to be formatted as a linux partition in order to work
what I gather you may have done was just copy the /home folder to another drive. That is not the same as a partition.
and the drive is most likely already being mounted as some other partition or drive in the /media or /mnt folders of your root system.

is sdd1 a H.D. or flashdrive? that may make a difference also.
you may find the following page helpful:
http://www.howtogeek.com/116742/how-to-create-a-separate-home-partition-after-installing-ubuntu/
John 3:16
Morse code an Early Digital Mode
Registered Linux User #462608
LinuxMint 17.1 Cinnamon/Mate
kc1di
Level 7
Level 7

Re: change /home to mount point failed

Postby inflatablemouse on Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:14 pm

Thanks but I do have a partition, I should have mentioned it.

The drive was in use as a separate drive mounted to /mnt/extra. It has a GPT partition table and is formatted as ext2.
inflatablemouse
Level 2
Level 2

Return to Newbie Questions