Firewall

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
cato40
Level 4
Level 4

Firewall

Post by cato40 »

Could anyone please tell me , if "Mint" has a firewall as default, when it is installed. I have to disable it temporarily
to enable me to access my Credit Union. :(
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jam12

Re: Firewall

Post by jam12 »

I thought I might as well ask my question here (sos if I'm stealing the thread but makes more sense to post my Q than making a new thread).

Q: I've downloaded firestarter as a firewall since its simplicity. I have my router firewall enabled anyway but just wanted some extra protection. When I boot into linux, does firestarter automatically start? I always open it manually as then the icon appears in the taskbar - the icon never appears by itself.

Thanks
jam.
Fred

Post by Fred »

Hold on guys and gals. Lets get this in perspective a bit.

Iptables controls the ports. It is a part of the port system and is always active, as long as the system is running. Iptables is as close to a Windows "firewall" as you get in Linux. In Windows, the firewall is not a part of the system infrastructure, but an add-on afterthought.

Often times Windows converts call "Guarddog," "Firestarter," or any number of other configuration GUIs firewalls. They are not. They are only a graphical means of constructing port rules without having to resort to the CLI.

All Linux distros that I am aware of come with a default set of port rules. How locked down the port system is depends on the developers that put out the distro. They try to hit a happy medium between allowing communications for the most used protocols and ports and locking the bad guys out.

The configuration utilities like "Firestarter" make it easier for new users to customize their port rules for their own needs without having to use the CLI.

Hope this increases your understanding somewhat.

Fred

EDIT: The configuration utility does not need to run except when you wish to configure the rules for Iptables.
BAD

Post by BAD »

Way to set them straight Fred.

You may be able to try different distro with a live CD and see if that lets you through.
cato40
Level 4
Level 4

Post by cato40 »

Thank you folks:
I tried "Konquerer" and I was able to access my accounts without any glitches.
cato40 :D
cato40
Level 4
Level 4

Post by cato40 »

Thanks for all the replies
cato

Return to “Beginner Questions”