can't login

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Rail Balco

can't login

Post by Rail Balco »

Hi! I've found some topics with similar problem, but none helped me, so founding new one.
I have Mint 12 LXDE and I did nothing which should lead directly to my problem. I can't log into my account (password is fine, no writing mistakes). I want to log in, hit enter, black screen appears for a few seconds and I'm back at login screen. I can log into root, so I tried to change password. No change, still can't log in.
Last thing I installed was Umbrello and I worked with it several days before it happened. No updates installed, nothing.
Notebook is MSI Wind U210
Someone pls can help me?

Update: I'm able to log in terminal via su -p but that login screen still not working
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Rail Balco

Re: can't login

Post by Rail Balco »

Really nobody knows?

edit:
Ok I've found out it's not matter of loggint itself. I'm able to go on my acc via terminal and launch programs as smilie (acc i have problem with) from there
Rail Balco

Post by Rail Balco »

Nice, tried instal xubuntu-desktop and I'm not able to log in there on any account. The only possible way to log in is mint as a root. No other user works.
One guy told me the possible way is to update. Did nothing.
Anybody at least thought what it can be?
herbie643
Level 3
Level 3

Post by herbie643 »

When you login as root go to your home directory and rename .config and .gconf and see if that allows you to login.
Rail Balco

Post by Rail Balco »

I'm on Xubuntu already, so can't try. But thanks for tip :)
crobin

Post by crobin »

I have this same problem, but I'm running (or trying to run, at least) Mint 14. I've tried installing twice and the same thing happened both times. I'd like to try what is suggested here, but it's slightly opaque. Where in my home directory are these files and what am I renaming them as?

Thanks

Edit: Okay, I really should have searched a bit more, sorry. I found the solution (for me) here: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=118538

Return to “Other topics”