Mint 14 KDE?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Mint 14 KDE?

Post by 67GTA »

The only quirk I can find is with the Firefox downloads. I don't get a download dialog, and downloads are set to automatically open with ark. The item doesn't get downloaded and put in in the home directory. If you just close ark when the download completes, the item isn't saved, and you have to download again. I'm sure it is just a Firefox setting I can run down and change, but this is a weird default behavior.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
GoustiFruit
Level 4
Level 4

Post by GoustiFruit »

Wow this is the first release of linux with KDE4 that actually *remembers* its multi-screen settings ! Yeah !
Just wrote my first script to switch from single to dual screen setup, ala Windows (Win+P) :-)
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

I liked this release so much I installed it on both my desktop and laptop! This looks good, has all of the right click options I could want in the file manager and it is rock solid. I upgraded both machines to KDE 4.9.4 with no problems. I also like the default applications, just the right mix for me. I had forgotten how nice kaffeine is to use! Plymouth displays perfectly for me using ATI and NVidea drivers, it's a nice little detail that I really like. The maintainer of this release and the KDE developers really did a great job! I am finding a lot of little details in this release that I really like. :D

I love that the maintainer chose to use the original KDE 4 icons, I do not care much for the new stock ones. The hot spot in the corner is only active when there are multiple applications running. Compositing works like a dream and I can set it up just the way I want it very easily. Memory use is way better than I expected with KDE and upgrading to 4.9.4 made things even better. Changing themes is a no brainer in KDE and gtk apps blend right in. I like how I can lock the icons and everything in place too, my kids can not make a mess out of my desktop!

I am surprised I do not see more people discussing this release. I think this is the best KDE release to date. I even like the green logo in plymouth, it's still Mint and plymouth works so well that I figured why mess with it. At any rate, I am really happy running KDE and I think I just might stick with this desktop environment, I have tried them all recently and KDE works great and has every feature I could possibly want. :D :) :D
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

What he said. :D
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
colyn

Post by colyn »

tdockery97 wrote:What he said. :D
I second that...............
BubbaBlues

Post by BubbaBlues »

Ditto! :D
BubbaBlues

Post by BubbaBlues »

I just upgraded to KDE 4.9.4 and it's like a work of art. Even 4.9.2 was great. This is the first kde I've ever had
where that horrible device manager actually works like it's supposed to. Mint 14 KDE is the cat's meow!

Note to devs; Don't change it. Just release it! :D
HoppityBob

Post by HoppityBob »

I was running Cinammon for a few days until I saw the post on this thread with the rc. Installed immediately and it's been running like a dream :-) How I love KDE, it's far and away the best desktop around on any platform imo !!!
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

It just keeps getting better. I just googled to find out if it was possible to upgrade 12.10 (and therefore Mint 14) to KDE 4.10 Beta 2, code-named KDE 4.9.90 and found the ppa needed to do it. I can report that it is running beautifully so far. As usual YMMV, so if you decide to do it the risk is all yours.

Mint Cinnamon 20.1
colyn

Post by colyn »

tdockery97 wrote:It just keeps getting better. I just googled to find out if it was possible to upgrade 12.10 (and therefore Mint 14) to KDE 4.10 Beta 2, code-named KDE 4.9.90 and found the ppa needed to do it. I can report that it is running beautifully so far. As usual YMMV, so if you decide to do it the risk is all yours.

I've been using 4.9.90 too and have found it to be very stable. I also like DigiKam 3.
TomFreeloader

Post by TomFreeloader »

I upgraded KDE 13 to 14 and it took a long while with apt but is seems but it seems to be more snappy. Also while googling on another computer, i learned how to install ATI Catalyst driversfor Ubuntu 12.10 I got an AMD water mark exactly like this one ...
Image but found this script to remove it after a reboot here http://askubuntu.com/questions/25519/ho ... the-driver if anyone needs it..
cspack

Post by cspack »

Just bought a new laptop Acer Aspire M5 and wiped Windows 8 clean and installed LM 13 on it. I had 2 nagging problems with it. 1) Got a blank screen after resume from sleep. 2) Wireless connection periodically disconnected for no apparent reason. After spending hours trying unsuccessfully to resolve these I decided to download the LM 14 release linked here and did a fresh install. This release has neither of those issues, and everything is running smoothly:) Just want to say thanks, great job.
Rudemeister

Post by Rudemeister »

Well, I installed Mint 14 KDE RC 32-bit on a spare drive just to see how well it runs. This thing is awesome. everything has installed and worked flawlessly so far. I'm itching to put my regular drive bqack in and put this on it. But I think I'll wait for the official release. I don't know how one could improve on this much, but it'll be interesting to see.

I do have a question though. What is the draw back and merits of the 32-bit versus the 64 bit? I keep hearing the 32-bit is more stable. I want to put it on my workstation. It's an HP XW8600 with 2 quad core Xeons and 16G of ram. I understand the PAE kernel works fine on 32-bit. Opinions?
BubbaBlues

Post by BubbaBlues »

With that rig I wouldn't use anything but 64 bit. 32 bit might haver been more stable a couple of years ago
but I don't think so now. My rig is a AMD Phenom ll quad core with six gigs of ram and it runs 64 bit KDE
flawlessly. In fact I think this is the best system I've had to date.
If you're just surfing the web or doing light load work, you won't ever see any difference but if you're
putting a load on it (video/audio editing, gaming etc.) the 64 bit will perform quite a bit faster for you. :wink:
cwwgateway

Post by cwwgateway »

Rudemeister wrote:Well, I installed Mint 14 KDE RC 32-bit on a spare drive just to see how well it runs. This thing is awesome. everything has installed and worked flawlessly so far. I'm itching to put my regular drive bqack in and put this on it. But I think I'll wait for the official release. I don't know how one could improve on this much, but it'll be interesting to see.

I do have a question though. What is the draw back and merits of the 32-bit versus the 64 bit? I keep hearing the 32-bit is more stable. I want to put it on my workstation. It's an HP XW8600 with 2 quad core Xeons and 16G of ram. I understand the PAE kernel works fine on 32-bit. Opinions?
The original idea of 64-bit was that it could recognize more than 4 GB of RAM, whereas 32-bit could technically recognize only 4 GB (it was actually less in practice, somewhere between 3 GB and 4 GB). I'm going to speak about LMDE kerenls because I have more experience with them, but the same idea applies to Ubuntu, besides that Ubuntu has stopped offering non-PAE kernels. The LMDE 201109 release came with a 32-bit 486 kernel, which could recognize up to 4 GB of memory and one processor. You could install the 32-bit 686-pae kernel, which can recognize more than 4GB of RAM and multiple processor cores. PAE increases memory usage somewhat, so it's only worth it if you have more than 4 GB of RAM or multiple processor cores. 64-bit is very similar to PAE - it allows for more RAM and processor cores to be recognized, but it uses more RAM. I personally find 64-bit is a decent amount better for new computers (or computers that have more than 4 GB of RAM), but it is fairly comparable to PAE. The main complaint about PAE is that many very old computers' processors don't support PAE, and, therefore, can't boot the kernel. I'm lucky in that my old Gateway's processor was advanced for its time (2002-ish), so it does have PAE support. The benefit of 32-bit is that some applications are packaged for 32-bit only, like skype. A little while ago (I want to say Ubuntu 10.10 and earlier, but I can't remember exactly - it was before I used linux) you could install a package called ia32-libs, which brought down 32-bit libraries and kind of allowed you to run 32-bit packages on a 64-bit machine. Most applications worked well, but it was kind of cumbersome and restrictive. Something called multiarch was created (and, to my knowledge, pioneered by Debian). This would allow you to add different "archs" to your system - i386, 64-bit, etc. being an arch. This would allow you to run applications from 32-bit on 64-bit systems. I personally like this better, although some applications still depend on ia32-libs, which you can't use with multiarch AFAIK. This is especially important to debian because they support so many different archs (i386, amd64, powerpc, spark, armel, etc), which now can theoretically all be run on the same system.

If you 16 GB of RAM than I think definitely 64-bit.
BubbaBlues

Post by BubbaBlues »

I just noticed the stable release of KDE 64 bit has been approved. 8)
colyn

Post by colyn »

BubbaBlues wrote:I just noticed the stable release of KDE 64 bit has been approved. 8)
I think it's time to get new testers. Looks like Jamie has bailed out on us again..
Last edited by colyn on Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wyz

Post by wyz »

All I want for Christmas is my KDE. While KDE 64 bit has been approved for stable release that still leaves us with the 32 bit version to be tested. The question begs, will Santa Clem and his elves complete the task before Christmas or will users be left a lump of coal in their stockings? Come on Santa, I know you can do it.

P.S. My girlfriend even says I was a GOOD boy this year. :wink:
podagee

Post by podagee »

fredg will have it ready before x-mas.i am awaiting its arrival also.anyone have the leak of where to download the stable?ive checked heanet and there is nothing yet.
colyn

Post by colyn »

podagee wrote:fredg will have it ready before x-mas.i am awaiting its arrival also.anyone have the leak of where to download the stable?ive checked heanet and there is nothing yet.
I doubt it will be released till the i386 version is ready..

Return to “Software & Applications”