remastersys dead or alive???

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
podagee

remastersys dead or alive???

Post by podagee »

ive been reading all over the internet that remastersys is dead and relinux is the alternative....lies i tell you all lies.i am currently running ubuntu 11.10 (awaiting the release of mint12) and installed remastersys and it is very much alive as it ever was.created a back up iso with no problems.only thing is that in the newer version(remastersys 3.0)it is terminal based which is fine.so all you non-terminal based people i suggest you get used to the terminal if you want remastersys.its really simple though.
Aging Technogeek

Re: remastersys dead or alive???

Post by Aging Technogeek »

I think a lot of the confusion about the status of Remastersys is due to the fact that the same person who created and maintains the Remastersys cloning software also created a Remastersys Linux Operating System.

The Operating System is the Remastersys that has been discontinued, not the cloning program.
proxima_centauri

Post by proxima_centauri »

See here for more information about the recent status of remastersys.
podagee

Post by podagee »

thanks proxima didnt know it was on the forums.but i have done enough research on it and am glad the creator kept on going with remastersys.after all it is a really convenient program.
Fragadelic
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Fragadelic »

I am the founder/developer of remastersys.

Remastersys is alive and well. In fact I've been in talks with Clem and Ikey to add support for LMDE to remastersys officially and that should be coming very soon.

I just released 3.0.2 that supports Ubuntu 12.04.

The rumour that remastersys was dead was started by the person who started relinux(which was started by forking remastersys except he removed my copyright from it - this has since been corrected after I finally convinced him that he was in violation of the GPL). I did briefly kind of give up on it but managed to find the time to continue especially since there seemed to be a smear campaign against remastersys by the competing fork.

The fork now seems to have gone idle after only a few months of development form what I can tell. Remastersys has been around since 2007 and it keeps on going. Sure there are times when things slow down but part of that is because there aren't many changes to casper or ubiquity(the live and install tools from Ubuntu) so there is no need to change anything if it is working. The debian version only gets updated if there are bugs or when new debian stable versions come out. I am kind of changing things around for the debian version to support wheezy before it goes stable too which will in turn help support LMDE.

I'm also not one to add every little request that comes in since I try to keep remastersys generic enough to suit all the different desktop environments and flavours of Ubuntu and the derivatives but encourage folks to modify it for themselves as they see fit. All I ask is that the copyright and GPL be honoured and adhered to.

I am around on this forum(rarely though), the ubuntu forums in the Community Cafe and my own forum - http://www.remastersys.com/forums/

If you post something here regarding remastersys and I don't see it or respond to it within a day, please send me a PM and I'll answer it. I make a serious effort to respond to every message and request for help and always have but sometimes I'm not notified of them.
podagee

Post by podagee »

thank you fragadelic for keeping remastersys alive.i myself am totally lost without it and redoing a whole setup from scratch again is tiresome,so,remastersys is what helps out very much.currently running win7,mint 14,and opensuse 12.2.hopefully ubuntu 12.10 gets support so i can do my mint 14(cinnamon).by the way is there any support for opensuse?
Fragadelic
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Fragadelic »

No support yet for Opensuse but I am looking into RHEL support which may work with Opensuse as well.

The 12.10 version should be out in a few days hopefully.
SurfaceUnits

Post by SurfaceUnits »

I have 3.0.3 running

Did an image of Mint 14 Cinnamon. The Live USB from the image doesn't have web access. I can ping IP addresses but not URI's
Will try a new image and see.

Tried two other images and the same, no web access.

What is the dns service that should be running?
Fragadelic
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Fragadelic »

The fix for that is this:

Network Manager has been changed. You will have to remove the part in /usr/bin/remastersys that removes $WORKDIR/dummysys/etc/resolv.conf and remaster again.

This is caused by a change to the way they are populating resolv.conf since it is now just a link. I have to update remastersys for 12.10 which I haven't had a chance to do yet but should have something within a week or so.
SurfaceUnits

Post by SurfaceUnits »

Thanks, It is working

Here is some info on the DNS changes

http://askubuntu.com/questions/140688/u ... er-working
Fragadelic
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Fragadelic »

What I plan to do is to check whether /etc/resolv.conf is a normal file of a link. If it is a file, it will be removed and replaced with an empty file but if it is a link, it will be left alone.
SurfaceUnits

Post by SurfaceUnits »

the contents of my resolv.conf

# Dynamic resolv.conf(5) file for glibc resolver(3) generated by resolvconf(8)
# DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE BY HAND -- YOUR CHANGES WILL BE OVERWRITTEN
nameserver 127.0.1.1
search Development
Fragadelic
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Fragadelic »

If you do an ls -l on /etc/resolv.conf it will probably be pointing to another file. This is the issue and yours is that way.
SurfaceUnits

Post by SurfaceUnits »

$ ls -l /etc/resolv.conf
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 29 Nov 14 12:04 /etc/resolv.conf -> ../run/resolvconf/resolv.conf

contents are the same
Fragadelic
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Fragadelic »

The contents you are seeing is from the file that it is pointed to which is why you have problems if the /etc/resolv.conf is removed. The network stack only updates the file at the end of the link and if the link isn't there you won't have dns resolution as the system only looks at /etc/resolv.conf for nameserver info.

Traditionally, the /etc/resolv.conf file is populated by dhcp when it obtains the ip info from the dhcp server. Having /etc/resolv.conf just as a link to another file is where it goes wonky. It would have made more sense to have just left it as it has always been but somebody somewhere decided this would be better for them so we are stuck with it.
podagee

Post by podagee »

todat i installed remastersys using the precise deb.i have made a system backup and am burning the iso as i type.ill see what the outcome is as i know it will always be the same....remastersys is the best.ill post the outcome in a few.
Fragadelic
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Fragadelic »

I haven't been able to create a new updated package yet. I am just recovering from a problem with a tooth. Not sure if I'll be able to get anything out before the end of the year but I will try.
podagee

Post by podagee »

as ive said before...remastersys is successful.the update im sure we can all wait for.the main thing is that it works.thank you fragadelic.
Jessey Lawson
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Jessey Lawson »

Sorry but remasters is a waste of code. It is broken, stupid, and the devlopers don't care about their users. Remastersys is no longer stable as it does not install on Linux Mint 14 and if you need proff go to my youtube channel. Now I also had tons of crash do to that sucker on my Linux Mint 13 computer. I am currently working on a remaster project and I can't get to the relinux home page so I tried to install remaster. I installed the confige file but nothing happened. remaster is just a joke and it has not been updated in at least a year or five. Linux users should just forget about this softwear and move on once they can find the relinux code.
Fragadelic
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Fragadelic »

Jessey Lawson - you are a troll.

Your statements are utterly false - You do know that I am the developer of remastersys right?

Go spout your garbage elsewhere.

If you have issues, you have never contacted me through my forum or through email. I answer every single email and post on my forum.

Return to “Chat about Linux”