Some newbie questions (indicators, theming, panel applets)

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Semmu

Some newbie questions (indicators, theming, panel applets)

Post by Semmu »

Hi all!

I'm new to this forum and to this OS too, so first I would like to thank you for your work and time to make Linux Mint an awesome OS!

The backstory: my machine isn't very fast, first I used Ubuntu Lucid as long as I could, then I switched to 12.04, then back to Lucid, because gnome fallback session and compiz was extremely buggy, then to 12.10, but it's isn't that fast, so I ended up trying out Cinnamon, which is an awesome DE too, but too much for my laptop, so I tried out MATE too, and found it awesome. My system is much faster and responsible now, so thanks everything! I'm definitely going to use it as my main DE. (and of course Linux Mint as my main OS)

But I've got some questions:
  • using gtk2 apps alongside gtk3 feels a bit strange to me. And my problem is with theming: I found some awesome gtk2 themes, and some other gtk3 themes without gtk2 counterpart. How could I set gtk3 apps to use a gtk3 theme and gtk2 apps to use a gtk2 theme? (if I choose an only-gtk2 theme all the gtk3 apps look ugly understandably)
  • my favorite theme on Lucid was Equinox (Evolution Dawn to be honest). It got an own gtk engine (gtk2-engines-equinox). How could I install it on my computer? If I download its .deb from the PPA, I can install it, but the system still won't recognize it...
  • on 12.10 everything was an indicator (even the tray icons) and I have used to it (it is nicer to go through indicator menus, because you don't have to click on every item) and it was more consistent. How could I implement it in MATE? (if it's possible). I know I can add an indicator applet, then install some indicators, but not every indicator is avaliable, but if I do so, I even get double sound icon (one indicator and one tray icon)
  • my laptop's screen isn't so big, so I set up a very space-efficient DE on every system I use. Long story short: one panel at the top, no window decorations for maximized windows, intellihide dock and (the most important part: ) window panel applets on the panel (only for maximised windows) (window control buttons: close, minimize, maximize; and window titlebar). So it's like the window decorations converge with the panel itself. It looks good and saves a lot of screen space. But can I use something like that on a MATE panel? I downloaded the source, tried to compile it, but gave me errors, some libraries were to old, so I couldn't compile it. (and it even had many gtk dependencies) This is what a mostly need, it was an awesome feature.
Wow, that's for now, waiting for you reply :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
3×5

Re: Some newbie questions (indicators, theming, panel applet

Post by 3×5 »

I have a similar question. What themes are known to deliver a consistent theme across gtk2/gtk3 and others? In mint 13, I could only get Mint-X and Mint-Z to look good across the board (and I think one called Awiarta or something like that). Now with Mint 14, Mint-Z is gone, and when I download and install the package, it doesn't deliver a consistent experience anymore.

In general, Transmission, Character map, and sometimes Synaptic and Calculator, among others, look bad with most Gnome 2 themes. So my question is: what themes are known to look good across Mint?
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

I use Install DeLorean Dark themes on Ubuntu 12.04/Linux Mint 13 (GTK 3)
http://www.noobslab.com/2012/08/install ... buntu.html

As prefer darker theme easier on these Ole' Eyes. And seems consistent across the board except including icon set.

Desktop Nov. 20th by Orbmiser, on Flickr

Creator is on Deviant and also has a matching firefox theme but I chose FT Deep Dark instead as he wants you to copy a chrome folder over to firefox folder and seems to break ability to change themes. Had to rename chrome folder so firefox reverted back to theme selections.

Taskbar is included in delorean but preferred a dark transparent Zukitwo in the default themes Cinnamon.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

3×5 wrote:So my question is: what themes are known to look good across Mint?
for mint14:
go to
http://gnome-look.org/index.php?xconten ... e6dd0ed214
or
http://browse.deviantart.com/customizat ... nome/gtk3/
and look specifically for gtk3.6/gtk2 themes

Return to “MATE”