Hanns-G monitor loses desktop settings

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
iani

Hanns-G monitor loses desktop settings

Post by iani »

Hi all, need a little 'experience' here I think...
Switched on my office machine this morning and the desktop settings were all haywire - background image off-centre, resolution wrong etc. The machine is an 5 or 6 year old Acer, basic work station, running Mint 10 with Gnome, the monitor is a Hanns-G HW173A. The machine is not connected to the internet, and no software changes have been made in months.

After a little playing about, which revealed that the monitors native resolution of 1440x900 no longer appears as a settings option, I shut down, disconnected the cable completely, reconnected and rebooted - no change. (this had been suggested elsewhere online as a cure for the same problem caused by a loose connection).

Then I connected the monitor to my laptop (running Mint 13 xfce) - and it immediately messed up the desktop setting on there - on the laptop screen as well as on the monitor itself! Still not able to select correct resolution for the monitor either. Disconnected, rebooted, sorted out laptop display, and decided to ask for help :)

My guess is that its a problem within the Hanns-G monitor itself, but what it is and whether I can do anything about it (other than buy a new monitor), I don't know. All advice gratefully accepted. Please be patient if I am slow to respond - I am working all weekend :(

TIA
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
palo
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Hanns-G monitor loses desktop settings

Post by palo »

iani> I have a Hanns-G HW223D and may not be much help but have a suggestion - though you may have already done this. In the monitor OSD (press M on monitor for that) go to input setting and be sure it shows Digital (assuming) and the correct resolution. Also you can go to the etc tab and select the reset to factory settings.

Pat
iani

Post by iani »

Cheers Pat - reset is is a seperate button (marked "i") on mine, but does not resolve the situation :( The input setting does not appear to be part of the the monitor menu though...

Will be busy now until Monday, but will then hook it up to a machine I can afford to have problems with and investigate further.

Ian
iani

Re: Hanns-G monitor loses desktop settings [Not solved!]

Post by iani »

When I returned tto this problem after the weekend it had disappeared as mysteriously as it occurred; I switched on and everything was back to normal with the monitor reporting and running its native resolution of 1440x900. I still have no idea really what caused it, but it seems that disconnecting and reconnecting the cable and a couple of resets has done 'something' :-/
Reminds of the days when I ran Windows...
Last edited by iani on Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
iani

Post by iani »

Grrrr! This mysterious glitch has reappeared, a couple of days after upgrading to Mint 13 xfce.

I've tried disconnecting the cable and resetting the monitor to factory pre-sets again (several times) without any joy.

I've also followed the tutorial at http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/877 to create an xorg.conf file and add the native 1440x900 resolution manually. Thats great in so much as 1440x900 is now available as an option in the display settings, but selecting it changes nothing! The monitor resolutely sticks to 1024x768!

This is now becoming really annoying as I sometimes have to create precisely sized graphics on this machine and working with a distorted display does not make that job any easier...

Anyone got a clue on this one please?
iani

Post by iani »

Still having issues.

A couple of weeks ago monitor went completely doolalley - fractured horizontally scrolling uninntelligible image. New monitor arrived today - same thing! Tested new monitor on windows machine = perfect. Ergo, it must be a software / driver problem?
Graphics chipset is Intel 946GZ Express - but WTH has it gone wrong at an apparently random moment?

Can anyone please shed some light on this before I tear *all* my hair out :(

TIA
iani

Post by iani »

...and it works perfectly off my Mint 13 xfce live disk...
joslynlara

Post by joslynlara »

I am having a similar problem and i am stuck. Please tell me what can i do. Thanks in advance.

patient monitor

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”