Reinstalling partitioning/mountpoint limitations

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
inflatablemouse

Reinstalling partitioning/mountpoint limitations

Post by inflatablemouse »

Hey,

I'm in the middle of reinstalling Mint, removed all previous partitions so there's no way back ... :lol:

I have the following harddisks in my system and partitioned as follows:

sda: Samsung 830 256GB SSD msdos partition table
sda1 primary ntfs 100MB auto created windows stuff
sda2 primary ntfs 240GB Windows 7 install
sda4 primary ext4 150MB ext /boot
sda3 extended
sda7 logical ext4 9GB /usr
sda6 logical ext4 3GB /opt
sda5 logical ext4 4GB /var

sdb: Seagate 1.5TB HDD msdos partition table
sdb1 primary ntfs 100% Windows shit

sdc: Western Digital Raptor 74GB msdos partition table
unallocated chunk
sdc2 primary ext4 10GB /root
sdc1 primary swap 10GB linux-swap

sdd: Seagate 1.5TB HDD msdos partition table
sdd1 primary ext4 100% /home

Sooo ... during install I wanted to set this up

sda4 /boot
sdc2 /
sda7 /usr
sda6 /opt
sda5 /var
sdd1 /home
sdc1 swap

The installer only let me choose 1 disk for / .... :x

Unless I'm missing something ... how should I proceed?

Tx guys.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Re: Reinstalling partitioning/mountpoint limitations

Post by Monsta »

You can't do that yet. The next version of the installer will have what you need, see here
inflatablemouse

Post by inflatablemouse »

Thanks.

I reinstalled with Mint 14 Nadya. The installer does allow selecting partitions spread over multiple disks.

I preferred LMDE but oh well.
3fRI

Post by 3fRI »

What am I missing? I really wanted to install the LMDE Cinnamon 201303 RC version on my laptop HDD. I got to the partitioning part and selected the drive. No problem. Then I selected edit partitions and the gparted screen popped up and I repartitioned with mount points, etc. and applied. But when I tried to move forward the install set up keept asking for the / mount point, which I already configured in the gparted window. Sorry, folks, but this was the deal breaker for me. :(
0xnak

Post by 0xnak »

3fRI wrote:What am I missing? I really wanted to install the LMDE Cinnamon 201303 RC version on my laptop HDD. I got to the partitioning part and selected the drive. No problem. Then I selected edit partitions and the gparted screen popped up and I repartitioned with mount points, etc. and applied. But when I tried to move forward the install set up keept asking for the / mount point, which I already configured in the gparted window. Sorry, folks, but this was the deal breaker for me. :(
After gparted, back at the installer, double click on your partition(s) and select mount point and format for each.
Last edited by 0xnak on Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
3fRI

Post by 3fRI »

0xnak wrote:
3fRI wrote:What am I missing? I really wanted to install the LMDE Cinnamon 201303 RC version on my laptop HDD. I got to the partitioning part and selected the drive. No problem. Then I selected edit partitions and the gparted screen popped up and I repartitioned with mount points, etc. and applied. But when I tried to move forward the install set up keept asking for the / mount point, which I already configured in the gparted window. Sorry, folks, but this was the deal breaker for me. :(
After gparted, back at the installer, double click on your partition(s) and select mount point and format for each.
Thanks for the tip. I'll try again on another day.
0xnak

Post by 0xnak »

3fRI wrote:Thanks for the tip. I'll try again on another day.
No problem. In gparted, you are just selecting labels and flags. The partitions actually get mounted afterwards via the installer.
3fRI

Post by 3fRI »

0xnak wrote:
3fRI wrote:Thanks for the tip. I'll try again on another day.
No problem. In gparted, you are just selecting labels and flags. The partitions actually get mounted afterwards via the installer.
Thanks again. I could never get Debian-based distros to boot properly on my old MacBook, but that was more an EFI issue. Anyway, I've installed LMDE Cinnamon today with no problems and am now seeing how it compares to LM Nadia Cinnamon. :)

Return to “LMDE Archive”