ttf-liberation and mint-meta-debian-mate [SOLVED]

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

ttf-liberation and mint-meta-debian-mate [SOLVED]

Postby tmallafre on Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:10 am

Hi all,
one week old LMDE user after 5 years using ubuntu :-)

After UP 5, I've made "apt install mint-meta-debian-mate" as I'm running mate, but this installs also ttf-liberation and fonts-liberation, and I don't like how the web browser looks after that; so I've made sudo aptitude remove --purge ttf-liberation and sudo aptitude remove --purge fonts-liberation (like I've made so many times in ubuntu) but this uninstalls also mint-meta-debian-mate. My question is: I'm missing some thing important without that package? Or, is there any workaround for remove that fonts that I don't like without loosing mint-meta-debian-mate?

Sorry for my english and thanks in advance :-)
Last edited by tmallafre on Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tmallafre
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: ttf-liberation and mint-meta-debian-mate

Postby zerozero on Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:08 pm

welcome to lmde :wink:
tmallafre wrote:My question is: I'm missing some thing important without that package? Or, is there any workaround for remove that fonts that I don't like without loosing mint-meta-debian-mate?

- first rule :lol: don't mix aptitude with apt just because ...
(explaining: they use different algorithms and one doesn't know what the other does/did)
- aptitude will uninstall the meta-pkg because you are uninstalling a pkg automatically installed as a dep of it (apt won't do that)
- in the end of the day you can let that meta-pkg go if you want (the required pkgs are already installed and won't be removed)

[ bliss of ignorance ]
zerozero
Level 16
Level 16

Postby tmallafre on Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:18 pm

Thanks zerozero, I see I'm not only newbie on LMDE :oops:
tmallafre
Level 1
Level 1

Postby zerozero on Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:26 pm

:lol: let me tell you a secret: stick some time around lmde and you'll be cured :mrgreen:
(not because lmde is difficult or hard but because it "pushes" us up the ladder)

[ bliss of ignorance ]
zerozero
Level 16
Level 16

Return to Newbie Questions