ttf-liberation and mint-meta-debian-mate [SOLVED]

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

ttf-liberation and mint-meta-debian-mate [SOLVED]

Postby tmallafre on Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:10 am

Hi all,
one week old LMDE user after 5 years using ubuntu :-)

After UP 5, I've made "apt install mint-meta-debian-mate" as I'm running mate, but this installs also ttf-liberation and fonts-liberation, and I don't like how the web browser looks after that; so I've made sudo aptitude remove --purge ttf-liberation and sudo aptitude remove --purge fonts-liberation (like I've made so many times in ubuntu) but this uninstalls also mint-meta-debian-mate. My question is: I'm missing some thing important without that package? Or, is there any workaround for remove that fonts that I don't like without loosing mint-meta-debian-mate?

Sorry for my english and thanks in advance :-)
Last edited by tmallafre on Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tmallafre
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: ttf-liberation and mint-meta-debian-mate

Postby zerozero on Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:08 pm

welcome to lmde :wink:
tmallafre wrote:My question is: I'm missing some thing important without that package? Or, is there any workaround for remove that fonts that I don't like without loosing mint-meta-debian-mate?

- first rule :lol: don't mix aptitude with apt just because ...
(explaining: they use different algorithms and one doesn't know what the other does/did)
- aptitude will uninstall the meta-pkg because you are uninstalling a pkg automatically installed as a dep of it (apt won't do that)
- in the end of the day you can let that meta-pkg go if you want (the required pkgs are already installed and won't be removed)
zerozero
Level 16
Level 16

Postby tmallafre on Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:18 pm

Thanks zerozero, I see I'm not only newbie on LMDE :oops:
tmallafre
Level 1
Level 1

Postby zerozero on Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:26 pm

:lol: let me tell you a secret: stick some time around lmde and you'll be cured :mrgreen:
(not because lmde is difficult or hard but because it "pushes" us up the ladder)
zerozero
Level 16
Level 16

Return to Newbie Questions