Poll: Desktop environments

Releases and other announcements
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics.

Which desktop environments do you use?

Cinnamon
30%
Fluxbox, OpenBox, Blackbox, *box
3%
Gnome Fallback
3%
Gnome Shell
9%
KDE
11%
LXDE
6%
MATE
19%
Other non-listed DE (Enlightenment, Trinity, RazorQT, ROX) or not using or planning to use any of the DEs listed in this poll.
2%
Unity
4%
Xfce
13%

Total votes : 4983

Re: Poll: Desktop environments

Postby gfarfanp on Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:29 pm

1st Cinnamon. 2nd Mate just because the possibility to use some applets that don't exist, yet, on Cinnamon. in particular the one that allow me to change characters when typing in Spanish (my mother tongue). Ah! also the eyes that follow your cursor {why nobody do those for Cinnamon?)
gfarfanp
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby EmpireITtech on Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:38 pm

Cinnamon all the way, so refined and beautiful
Linux: Mint 16 Petra Cinnamon
Box: Intel Core 2 Quad | 8gb RAM | 500 gb WD 7200rpm | nVidia Geforce GTS250
Pants: 32x30
EmpireITtech
Level 4
Level 4

Postby Adelante on Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:26 pm

I haven't tried MATE in a long while, but Cinnamon is very fast in 14. I'll have to give MATE a fresh look.

jamesbannon wrote:I switched to MATE to see what it was like. So far, so good. Very traditional and stable. No more oddities like randomly losing permissions to shut down, mount disks, etc. It's fast too, compared with Cinnamon, GNOME Shell, etc.
Linux Mint 16 Cinnamon
Linux Mint 16 KDE
Adelante
Level 4
Level 4

Postby cygnus on Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:09 am

I use Cinnamon on Ubuntu 12.04 and it literally transformed the whole distro. I don't like Unity very much, although I don't hate it as much as most people do. I've tried many other DEs on Ubuntu and I always go back to Cinnamon. The only reason why I haven't installed Mint is because I've already got this OS tweaked to my liking and I don't want to start over again, plus I've run both the MATE and Cinnamon versions of Mint on a VM and I've had issues with proxy settings that I don't get on Ubuntu. MATE is nice, though, and fast.

At home I have an old Dell netbook running LXDE (Lubuntu) and it works very well in that environment. I tried it on my work PC but I don't like how it handles dual monitors - i.e. not at all.

Although it has some bugs - which is understandable considering its youth - Cinnamon is the future of the Linux desktop.
cygnus
Level 1
Level 1

Postby CurtisCoburn on Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:45 pm

I am really likeing the Cinnomon desktop right now. It feels very fimilar to Windows. I think when I build my desktop, I will make this environment my main one.
CurtisCoburn
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Chanux on Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:46 pm

I like MATE best, but I use Dolphin and Konsole as default. :D
Linux Mint Debian Edition
MATE & KDE
Firefox + Vimperator
Chanux
Level 1
Level 1

Postby baptiste on Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:07 am

I'm trying Nemo 1.1.2, under Mate and I think I will switch to that.

I don't know how to change the default file manager though - the one that is opened by folder launchers on a Mate panel. I have been using Nautilus 3.4, which registered itself as the default file manager when I installed Cinnamon on the side.
I know how to change the file manager that draws the desktop icons, it's a separate setting and is in dconf-editor. Or was it gconf-editor. I can't find the setting anymore actually.

I think Nemo can well become Mate's default file manager, as it's not stagnating and looks good (even Nautilus looks good but Nemo has a much better toolbar). Unless you consider there are too many dependencies.
I'd use Caja, but the gtk3 remakes look much better to me and with Nemo there's no compromise :)
baptiste
Level 2
Level 2

Postby cavedweller on Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:11 pm

I just returned to mint today and installed 14 cinnamon. Not any love here for gnome since 3 shell showed up on the scene and 2 was discontinued. I went back to debian sid for awhile, but I'm no big fan of their no branding all software free philosophy. I switched to opensuse factory and ran kde until it updated to 12.3 m2 and kde rc1. At that point screenlocker had become a nightmare. I decided the best solution for now was to come back to Mint and run cinnamon. At least I can get it closed to gnome 2 behavior. so I will run this for awhile and make sure I to figure ouit the stuff my wife will have me adjust to her liking, as she has the same laptop as me. The I will switch mine over to lmde.
cavedweller

Postby xclusive585 on Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:14 am

cavedweller wrote:I just returned to mint today and installed 14 cinnamon. Not any love here for gnome since 3 shell showed up on the scene and 2 was discontinued. I went back to debian sid for awhile, but I'm no big fan of their no branding all software free philosophy. I switched to opensuse factory and ran kde until it updated to 12.3 m2 and kde rc1. At that point screenlocker had become a nightmare. I decided the best solution for now was to come back to Mint and run cinnamon. At least I can get it closed to gnome 2 behavior. so I will run this for awhile and make sure I to figure ouit the stuff my wife will have me adjust to her liking, as she has the same laptop as me. The I will switch mine over to lmde.

Mate is closer to Gnome2 than Cinnamon is... Just sayin'
-Dave

“The only way to fix Linux is to take one distro, one set of components as a baseline, abandon everything else and everyone should just contribute to this single Linux..."
xclusive585
Level 2
Level 2

Postby cavedweller on Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:33 am

I realize Mate is closer to Gnome 2. I also see the Cinnamon as the ability to make the new more palitable and usable. It still has some kinks, but it is workable. I'm also taking into consideration that my wife and I are using the same acre laptops which do not have num lock cap lock indicators. So the cinnamon applet for that purpose come in handy. Anything to make it easier for my wife is the goal. She doesn't want to use windows and loves linux, but when there is an issue my ears get a workout. :lol:
cavedweller

Postby n0zqh on Tue Dec 25, 2012 6:29 am

I'm still useing the gnome shell and will continue to till my new computer gets here.
n0zqh
Level 1
Level 1

Postby baptiste on Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:33 pm

You're right, there's no keyboard LED indicator in the Mate applets. It's available under LXDE, which otherwise has less features than Mate or Cinnamon.
baptiste
Level 2
Level 2

Postby grraf on Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:47 pm

Played around with just about all DE out there and eventually settled(some months ago) for XFCE(various reasons including it being less of a ressorce hog and its reliability/simplicity &no bloat approach) nowadays since XFCE for LMDE is going to be discontinued i began re-experimenting with both mate and cinnamon , both are fine DEs but for me mate seems to fit better(much less cpu hungry then cinnamon and less loaded with unnecessary stuf, plus since my first contact with a linux OS was on a gnome 2 environment i'm feeling more 'at home' in mate)
One thing i'm sure of DE's will appear, change ,evolve for better/worse and inevitably die off so without a doubt ill see my fair share' of switches in the future; the one thing i'm sure of is me sticking out with the debian rolling wagon, no other distros i've tried based on other approaches have even come close to offering me both the ease of use and stability in conjunction with the opportunity of steadily assimilating OS and net related info in a controlled and relatively safe environment. So far LMDE and its mint forums are providing me with plenty of usefull stuff to learn and are filled with both people and links that can guide towards just about anything that sparks my interest enough to make me seek additional info.
grraf
Level 1
Level 1

Postby xenopeek on Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:48 pm

baptiste wrote:You're right, there's no keyboard LED indicator in the Mate applets. It's available under LXDE, which otherwise has less features than Mate or Cinnamon.

See this topic on the MATE forums, where member assen has converted the old GNOME applet for this to work on MATE: http://forums.mate-desktop.org/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=379
Forum Rules | IRC Channel Rules
Arch Linux / 64-bit / Gnome Shell
xenopeek
Level 21
Level 21

Postby Hiero2 on Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:27 pm

hmmmm - seems I can't vote in the poll.

np - I can use my big mouth to announce my pref.

MATE, or xfce.

Forget gnome3 and unity - those are designed by linux geeks who want linux to ONLY be used by the geek population. Elitists. It is scandalous, and disgusting to me. Canonical used to be on what I think is the right track - make linux easy enough for everycomputerman. But, they have been drifting, slowly, into geekland territory, and with Unity and 12.04, they are firmly placed inside the borders of elitist geekland. Sad, if you ask me.

Gnome 3 is worse. They are so far off the edge they are freezing - and the user numbers confirm it. 100 times worse self-inflicted damage then kde did when they went to 4. Kde seems to have recovered, although I am sceptical. I don't think gnome can recover so easily from this, if they ever do.
Hiero2
Level 1
Level 1

Postby alfbar0 on Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:51 pm

xfce 14 in usb persistent

You have to Post to enable Vote
alfbar0
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Brian10161 on Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:50 pm

I've been using MATE now for a few months. I was using Ubuntu back at around version 5.04 IIRC with GNOME and that's what I really had a lot of Linux exposure to. I then started upgraded as new ones came out, and by the time the whole Gnome 2 to Unity switch came about I had been toying with going back to Windows. I switched to Windows 7 for a few years then now with the advent of Windows 8 I have switched back to the Linux world.

I'm so glad to see Linux Mint has the MATE DE because it brings back good memories. Runs very well on my hardware. I love having options :)

I have played with KDE, XFCE, LXDE and some of the other lesser known ones, but have always felt at home with Gnome 2/MATE.
Thinkpad T410 i5 / 8Gb / 160GB Intel / Mint 14 MATE

AMD FX 8120 / 16GB / 60GB OCz / 2 x 500GB WD / Radeon 6950 / Mint 14 MATE
Brian10161
Level 1
Level 1

Postby bjornmu on Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:33 pm

It had to be MATE since I'm running Gnome 2 desktops on my other two boxes: OpenSolaris at work (to be upgraded to Solaris 11) and Fedora 13 on my secondary home box. I was also running OpenSolaris on the older box that I just replaced with this running Mint. Except for the one big Menu (which I don't use much anyway after the first days of setting things up) and some new applets, it's just like the others and I avoid getting confused. :)

I don't care at all about what icons might be on the desktops since I always have the space covered with active windows. If you ask me what Icons I have I wouldn't even be able to tell. :lol:
bjornmu
Level 3
Level 3

Postby famicommander on Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:08 am

Xfce has been my favorite since the first time I tried it, way back in Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon.

I also liked GNOME2 (who didn't?), so naturally I like MATE.

I use LXDE on my netbook and legacy machines and am very happy with it. It's much lighter than Xfce but so much more refined than Fluxbox or other light environments or window managers.

I tolerate KDE but I always seem to have head aches with it on Linux. It is much better on PC-BSD in terms of not crashing or otherwise screwing up, but now that the aforementioned OS has better support for other DEs I don't have to bother with it anymore.

Still haven't spent much time with Cinnamon and hate Unity and GNOME3 with a passion.
famicommander
Level 1
Level 1

Postby rsxhawk on Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:12 pm

I must say that coming from a Windows background, mainly XP, server2k3, and 7, using linux at all seemed like a tough sell when I was younger. But now that I've had the opportunity to use a few different operating systems outside of windows and osx, I am more comfortable using linux all-around and feel like its kind of the best of both worlds for most things. Cinnamon reflects a familiar feel to windows with a menu/start button and app launcher that I've used for years, plus some tweaks.

I don't think I ever really liked Unity when I ran Ubuntu 12.04 LTS on my laptop. It was okay but I preferred using the osx-like Docky instead or using a 2D version of Gnome to launch my apps. As long as Cinnamon sticks around, I'll be happy. I like how linux gives us the opportunity to choose which DE we want to use, but at the same time, wouldn't it sometimes be better if we all rallied behind one option and stuck with it? I have not tried using xfce or lxde so I can't speak to those but I know many folks like them.
Linux Mint 14 Nadia w/Cinnamon - BitFenix Prodigy (White) - ASUS P8H77-I Motherboard - Intel Core i5 3570K - 8GB GSkill Ares Memory - Kingston 90 GB SSD - Seagate 1 TB HD - ZALMAN CNPS8000B 92mm - LG Blu Ray Burner
rsxhawk
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

PreviousNext

Return to Releases & Announcements