<SOLVED> Xfce 14 RC: No Screensaver Settings

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
crosstalk

<SOLVED> Xfce 14 RC: No Screensaver Settings

Post by crosstalk »

I've recently installed the Xfce RC for Mint Nadia, and cannot find any settings for gnome-screensaver. I would like my laptop to lock if left idle for a few minutes, but to never go to sleep.

How do I open up the screensaver settings? Alternatively, how can I accomplish my goal of automatic locking another way?

Note: I'm aware I can just install xscreensaver, but I personally prefer gnome-screensaver.

Thank you for any help, and thank you for working so hard to make Linux Mint what it is.

EDIT: I was unable to do this with gnome-screensaver, but I did get it working with xscreensaver. I posted the steps I took below; the following link should take you directly to the post: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 85#p667643
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kwisher

Re: Xfce 14 RC: No Screensaver Settings

Post by kwisher »

Not sure if this will do what you want but in the settings menu under power manager there are some stiing for your monitor.
crosstalk

Post by crosstalk »

Thanks for the suggestion, but I've already checked that out. There are no settings for locking when idle, just locking when the lid's closed (which I've happily enabled).
Xsabre

Post by Xsabre »

Bump...I am trying to do the same thing
LinuxBill

Post by LinuxBill »

That is correct.
>Settings
>On AC
> Monitor
There you have 2 sliders to set for when to put the monitor to sleep and when to switch the display off

Or from >Settings
>Screensaver
From here you can select your screensaver image or images to cycle and when (time before displaying the scrennsaver)
and whatever other preferences you have for the screen when your away from the PC for a time. Power monitor settings get turned on or off here from the
Advanced tab.

Hope this helps.
crosstalk

Post by crosstalk »

Okay, here's how I've made it work to my liking:

1) Install xscreensaver. In the Session and Startup settings, I've disabled gnome-screensaver and enabled xscreensaver.

2) Disabled screen lock on lid closed in the Power Manager settings screen (otherwise, power management enables gnome-screensaver again).

3) Used screensaver settings to set it to automatically enable after 10 minutes, lock 1 minute later (my personal preferred settings)

4) I wanted it to lock when I close my laptop. If you don't want that, then you can just skip this step. I created a file at /etc/acpi/local/lid.sh.pre, with executable permissions for root (and no-one else), and the following contents:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh

su <my_username> -c "xscreensaver-command -lock"
Where <my_username> is my username.

Note: On my laptop, this script only runs when my laptop is opened, not closed. If, on your computer, it runs when the lid is closed as well, then you will need to check if the lid is closed or opened first. The following code should do this, but I haven't tried it, so it may not work:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh

grep -q closed /proc/acpi/button/lid/*/state
if [ $? = 0 ]
then
    su <my_username> -c "xscreensaver-command -lock"
fi
Again, <my_username> is your username.

I hope this helps.
aac74

Re: <SOLVED> Xfce 14 RC: No Screensaver Settings

Post by aac74 »

2) Disabled screen lock on lid closed in the Power Manager settings screen (otherwise, power management enables gnome-screensaver again).
this isn't true for me. using xscreensaver and using power manager to lock screen on lid close works fine - gnome-screensaver isn't enabled.
I have enabled xscreensaver to manage power in screensaver settings > advanced. Not sure if this is what makes the difference ?
I also removed gnome-screensaver package and unchecked 'monitor power management control in power manager settings.'

I'm using mint 14 64bit
jsalpha2

Re: <SOLVED> Xfce 14 RC: No Screensaver Settings

Post by jsalpha2 »

Or from >Settings>Screensaver From here you can select your screensaver image or images to cycle and when (time before displaying the scrennsaver)
and whatever other preferences you have for the screen when your away from the PC for a time. Power monitor settings get turned on or off here from the
Advanced tab.
On my fresh install of linux mint xfce there is no screensaver under settings. Software manager says gnome-screensaver is installed, but there is no access to it.

Return to “Xfce”