No graphical Login

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

No graphical Login

Postby pat_ on Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:50 am

Hello,
I'm not sure if this topic already exists, because the forum engine doesn't let me search for mdm.

I don't have really a problem here, but had one:
Yesterday I was installing several mediaplayers because i wanted to look at some alternatives to Banshee. I also was upgrading two packages to multiarch (that's what the changelog said, they are metapackages now and can be removed if nothing depends on them anymore…) but forgot how they were called. During the installation (with synaptic) process I might possibly have been asked if I want to remove some unused packages, which i confirmed, but didn't check, because nobody does that properly (i looked through it, but mdm didn't catch my attention). unluckily one of the packages was mdm.
Today after I logged in, it took me about an hour to figure out what Display Manager is used in LMDE with XFCE and where it should be. The init file was still present and all, but the program itself wasn't installed anymore (and I didn't remember that i confirmed to remove it, of course).

Solution for me was to install mdm again.

All I want to know is: is there a way to figure out, how I could be asked to remove my only display manager? I see a possibility that novice users (worst case without the knowledge of startx and no other internet-device by hand) would do… lets just say something not very reasonable.

TL;DR: Was asked to remove my Display manager. WHY?

LMDE xfce flavor (don't use it, but that's what I installed) update pack 6
pat_
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Software & Applications