Hello out there!

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mtaylor

Hello out there!

Post by mtaylor »

Hello Linux Mint Community!

I am not a first time linux user; I used Ubuntu previously but I do not agree with Canonical decisions for the OS lately. I do support free software, however I am not a complete die-hard over the cause. I use the software that allows me to get the job done. I will use the Free Software if it is available, but if not I will use proprietary. That being said, all I do is word processing and programming, so there probably isn't any proprietary software found on my computer. All my drivers are free.

As mentioned earlier, I am a programmer. I hope to get involved with some packages and development within the community. I find myself constantly making small little changes to a lot of Free/Open Source programs, so it would be nice to share some of that work, and perhaps even to work on something a little more important. I am fluent in C, Java, Common Lisp and Emacs Lisp, Clojure, Python, and x86 Assembly. I find that I like the Lisp variants best for smaller projects, and that for bigger projects I lean towards C and Java. I don't like C++, I think it's a semantically ugly language. If I need to do something where I have to work lower to the system, I will just use C, even if it means some extra lines. In Java I usually work in Netbeans, and I use Emacs to write in for the other ones. My preffered C Compiler is the GCC. My preffered assembler is the GNU Assembler.

I hope to get to know all of you.

-M.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
The-Wizard

Re: Hello out there!

Post by The-Wizard »

Welcome to the Mint family Forums,

wizard
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Welcome aboard! With that skill set you can contribute to many open source projects (except, skip KDE as that is a C++ project). If you want to help out on Linux Mint (we use C, JavaScript and Python), the source code is here: https://github.com/linuxmint. Cinnamon and Nemo especially are vibrant projects right now, with lots of exciting development going on. Here is the roadmap for the next Linux Mint release: https://github.com/linuxmint/Roadmap. The developers hang out at #linuxmint-dev on irc.spotchat.org, you're welcome to say hi :wink:
jesica

Post by jesica »

:mrgreen:

Good day and welcome to Linux Mint,

Hope you will enjoy it as much as we do.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”